Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural Instinct Barf Food

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Natural Instinct Barf Food

Hi

I was browsing a page and came across this food ,does anybody feed it and what do people think of it ,I along with Tania are poss considering having ago .Any thoughts or comments wellcome please.

http://www.naturalinstinct.com/

If I do I will be terrified of them choking on anything.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, we tried it! I stopped buying it after finding out it had apple seeds in it (I questioned them about this and they said that their vet had said it was fine...) I am, however, buying their "pure chicken" which is just bones and chicken (and supplementing with my own veg/oils/bones/etc). The dogs did very well on it, but I think it's an expensive way of doing raw...
    Owned by Kizzy - ex-breeding blenheim CKCS (cross?!), Zara -mini schnauzer, Ozzy - golden retriever and Bella - ex-breeding Westie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is very expensive Brian.

I have been giving mine raw food now for 4/5 months, and they love it, chicken wings, lamb ribs, pork ribs,
    liver, kidney, hearts I could go on. Check this site out:-

http://www.landywoods.co.uk/ also http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/wb/
    Last edited by HollyDolly; 9th April 2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added another link
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Nature's Instinct looks like the bones are ground into the food?

I do feed raw chicken thighs -- won't feed wings having had two close to emergency situations with wings. I really remain uncertain about bones though -- I know a vet who was very distressed a few months back when I saw her, because a patient of hers had died very painfully from a rectal rip from raw meaty bones -- a large breed dog fed on a BARF diet by the breeder, very experienced BARF feeder. She said the death was long and painful and extremely distressing with no choice but to pts the dog. She herself was clearly deeply upset and says she would never recommend BARF as she's seen too many emergency cases and deaths.

So please do weigh up the risks of raw bones -- I've yet to hear of a dog choking to death on kibble (the example regularly offered as a counter) but now know of a few dead from RMBs and have been near rushing to the emergency room twice myself. Will only give thighs with lots of meat, once every two weeks.

I'd like a commercial raw with ground bone but nothing like that is sold over here.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default This is similar to what I feed my dog

My dog (Im in the US) eats Nature's Variety (http://www.naturesvariety.com/raw) and Primal Raw foods (http://www.primalpetfoods.com/) which is also a premixed raw meat diet. The bone is ground into the food, you cannot even see it so the risk of choking is not an issue ( I do not give mine raw bone, I've tried offering it to her but she is not interested). She does wonderful on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

I think i will try it ,after reading up on apple pips it seems only a very large amount would have any effect and I will filter it as served .As far as the amount per dog goes with this and going by 2% app of dog weight and erring on the cautious side I am thinking of

Poppy 2 x 75 gr daily
    Daisy 2 x 70 gr daily
    Rosie 2 x 70 gr daily
    Lily 2 x 60 gr daily

So I reckon a 10 kg bag will last about 20 days at an av order of 50 -60 a time ,so as Nannette says its not cheap ,but I wont be buying loads of veg and it should cut down on the amount of fertilizer they produce so I will save a fortune in poop bags alone .But serious like karlin I am scared stiff of them getting a bone stuck but these seem to grind their bones so that shouldn't be a problem ,but I don't think I could feed them chiken wings and stuff like that.
    Plus I am ordering direct from a fish supply company who catches his fish one day and delivers fresh to you the next ,so I will order some whitebait and precooked fish cocktail of green lipped mussel ,calamari and peeled prawns as something else to spice up their food away from boring biscuits and vegetables .
    So we will try it ,any other guidance pls from anybody.
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

With regards to amounts, Bella (who weighs about 7kg) had 75g (twice a day), Zara (who weighs 9.3kg)had 80g twice a day and Kizzy who is 11.3kg had 100g twice a day. We also filtered the apple seeds out, but I was still concerned... Be prepared for maybe a day of loose poos when you first switch (!) but since then, ours have done fine. Edited to say: yes the bones are ground into the food.
    Last edited by Kizzys Mum; 10th April 2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added text
    Owned by Kizzy - ex-breeding blenheim CKCS (cross?!), Zara -mini schnauzer, Ozzy - golden retriever and Bella - ex-breeding Westie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi kizzy

Are the bones ground down do so theres no chance of them choking on a big bone
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's just like mince, but with meat/bone/veg/liver/etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,

I met these people on their stand at Crufts. Personaly I think it's very expensive, you could try prize choice raw meats or forthglade - they work out at around 89p for a 1lb block. The meats have ground bone in them too - although I was (& still do) give raw chicken wings or thighs for their teeth.
    http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/ - avalible in pets at home stores & other pet shops

Sparky (now 8.3kgs) ate a 3rd of a pack a day with a few raw veggies along side. I dont feed it anymore as I had to drive up to Northern Ireland to get this food so it was costing me a fortune in petrol & tolls & wasnt worth it.
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge