Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advocate - Where To Buy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Advocate - Where To Buy

Hi

I need to buy more spot on treatment and due to the ever increasing posts regarding lungworm I am going to change fron Frontline to Advcate ,one is prescription free the other a prescription is needed .So for the first time ever I phoned my regular vets ,the one I have a reserved seat in ,and made my request that if I printed off a form would they kindly sign it for me ,yes was the answer but for a small fee of 10.00 per signature and by the way we sell it as well at 28.00 for 3 pipettes so for 3 months supply times 4 Cavaliers equals 112.00 while online http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/dogs_...FUGX2AodkC1VPA

they are 4.00 each times 12 = 48.00 + 40.00 grand total 98.00

What do vets normally charge for a prescription pls.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

The vets I used to use started to charge for prescriptions, it was 12.50 if I remember correctly. Could be more now as that was some time ago. I now get prescriptions from the PDSA, they don't charge. You could try asking them for a few months supply on one prescription.
    Judy

Chaos B/T Cavalier girl (1.1.2004) Armani Chinese Crested girl (16.12.2002) Onyx Chinese Crested Boy (1.8.2009)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes we enquired and vets are allowed to charge for signing a prescription.
    Briar, Jack, Berry and coeliac cocker Bracken foster cockers Rowan and puppy Simba

"Spaniels In Need"
    (a 'not for profit' rescue organisation)

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, not meaning to hijack your thread but just wanted to ask, does Advocate treat most things in one application then? I used my last pipette of Frontline at the weekend and I'm considering shopping around for a different treatment (If I find one more beneficial)

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If it's any help I use Advocate - try a few vets mine has a promotion for three for the price of two at the moment, might be worth asking...I used frontline for years but last year Barney had a massive flea allergy problem and swelled up!! His face looked very abnormal bless him I told the vet I'd treated him with Frontline with no problems before but according to the vets it seems to be less effective than it was (personally I think it's now a waste of money.)

Advocate treats worms and fleas so is good for my cat too (No way I'm trying to get tablets down her neck!!) I think there's one type of worm it doesn't treat - can't remember which one so I use Drontal periodically.

Post Thanks / Like

We used Frontline from our vets for years on Sonny. Last year when we went to stock up our vet had stopped using Frontline and was using Advocate which we duly bought. Don't know if it's a coincidence but returning from Skye last year Sonny brought home a tick , something he had never had before.

I know you can get ticks from fields etc but we always exercised Sonny on the braes near our home and never had this problem before. I stopped using the Advocate and our local chemist stocks Frontline which we returned to using with Sonny and now use on Kaley.

I'm not saying getting the tick had anything to do with the Advocate but it seemed strange to us that we never encountered any probs with ticks before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

So apart from the normal bugs they both cover are we saying frontline for all but not lungworm and advocate for all but not ticks .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Frontline doesn't treat worms as far as I know but I think it does kill ticks (the swines still cling on though!!) Advocate does treat lungworm as far as I know - hang on I'll look at the box!!

Post Thanks / Like

Checked with hubby and according to him Frontline protects from ticks but Advocate does not. Wish there was something that sort of "covered "everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Right Advocate treats the following :
    Fleas, Biting Lice, Ear Mites, Sarcoptic Mange, Demodicosis, Heartworm, Angiostrongylus Vasorum (Whatever that is!!) Roundworm, Hookworm and Whipworm. So you're right that it doesn't treat Lungworm, I knew there was one!! But a Drontal tablet in and out sorts this one. Apparently they get these from eating slugs and snails - nice (Why Advocaate doesn't treat for this I don't know)
    Frontline treat fleas and lice but not worms.