Thread: Spaying after a season....

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Question Spaying after a season....

It's been so long since ive had a bitch pup - Cass is 12.5yrs & I remember she was spayed after her 1st season - she also had a phantom pregnancy but I cant for the life in me remember how long after her season I had her spayed.

What is the optimum time?

Lucy is going to see the DT vet tomorrow for her 'intake exam' & 'Pre-adoption check' so im sure she will tell me then but just wondering!
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Sonia

Apart from Lily ,who caught me out and came into season not long after she came to us ,Poppy Daisy and Rosie were all spayed after their first season and approximately half way between their first and second .Though of course its only a guess but about 6/7 weeks after their first has ended seemed to work OK for them .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Brian, I was thinking it must be arround that, I dont know when she started her season as the woman that brought her in didnt know (?????) but shes well into it by the looks of her so im thinking it will probably be towards the end of June when she gets done...........
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Generally three months after her season ends. However as noted elsewhere, I'd talk to the vet about whether to do preventative injections to avoid any pregnancy -- I would not trust what the owner says at all as you simply cannot believe what they say when releasing a dog unless you know them. Believe me -- you get told all sorts of things and sometimes it is wrong deliberately and sometimes out of ignorance.

A vet should be able to judge about how far along she is. You measure from when she ended her season so knowing when it started really doesn't matter.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Karlin, Sue said she can spay straight after her season has finished so she's booked in for 19th of May - but we can delay if I feel she's not ready.
    Sonia