• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spaying after a season....

Dublin

It's been so long since ive had a bitch pup - Cass is 12.5yrs & I remember she was spayed after her 1st season - she also had a phantom pregnancy but I cant for the life in me remember how long after her season I had her spayed.

What is the optimum time?

Lucy is going to see the DT vet tomorrow for her 'intake exam' & 'Pre-adoption check' so im sure she will tell me then but just wondering!

Hi Sonia

Apart from Lily ,who caught me out and came into season not long after she came to us ,Poppy Daisy and Rosie were all spayed after their first season and approximately half way between their first and second .Though of course its only a guess but about 6/7 weeks after their first has ended seemed to work OK for them .:)

Thanks Brian, I was thinking it must be arround that, I dont know when she started her season as the woman that brought her in didnt know (?????) but shes well into it by the looks of her so im thinking it will probably be towards the end of June when she gets done...........

Generally three months after her season ends. However as noted elsewhere, I'd talk to the vet about whether to do preventative injections to avoid any pregnancy -- I would not trust what the owner says at all as you simply cannot believe what they say when releasing a dog unless you know them. Believe me -- you get told all sorts of things and sometimes it is wrong deliberately and sometimes out of ignorance.

A vet should be able to judge about how far along she is. You measure from when she ended her season so knowing when it started really doesn't matter.

Thanks Karlin, Sue said she can spay straight after her season has finished so she's booked in for 19th of May - but we can delay if I feel she's not ready.

Back