• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vets

Charlotte

We took Charlie to the vets again the other day, you might remember i posted a thread about him keep coughing ect, well we took him back again on Monday 19th because he was still coughing and the vet said he wants to do a chest x-ray to see if its anything to do with the lungs/heart. He also took some blood and said that the protein level was low. So we have to go back there on this Friday coming up (Friday 23rd) and there gonna put him out and do a chest x-ray. The only thing is we have to get there by 8:00am and it takes an hour to go get there so we're gonna have to get up about 6:00am and leave at 7:00am, because the vets is about an hour from us. When we get there we have to drop him off then go home then pick him back up again then go home, so its gonna be quite a hectic day, and it dosnt help that the times are gonna be in the rush hour, early morning and then probably evening time. I just hope we find out whats wrong with him.

Also this morning (Wednesday 21st) he was sick. :(

Hello Charlotte

I do wish I lived near I would certainly collect you two and take there and back again ,pls try not to worry I am sure it will all turn out not as bad as you fear ,so chin up and give Charlie another hug .

Best Wishes

bri:)

Thanks Brian,
im not too worried, but out of the whole 7 years of having Charlie since he was a puppy the only time we ever left him at a vets on his own was when we had him 'done', even though he's not gonna be there that long on his own im gonna miss him :(
I'll let you know what happens on Friday/Saturday

Hi Charlotte,

I don't live a million miles away from you. Do you want me to help, I will gladly
take you and bring you/him home. Where do you have to go?

Tania that was so kind of you to offer

Charlotte I'm sorry poor Charlie is going through this, but hopefully you will find out what's wrong and the vets will be able to help him.

Why are they putting him out to do a chest x-ray? I had an 8 year old foster dog who suddenly quit eating and was breathing really fast. I brought her in to the vet and they did an x-ray right then and found out that she had an enlarged heart and congestive heart failure. Her 2 follow up x-rays in the next few weeks also were done without sedation of any kind. BTW, on medication (Lasik), she was fine and made a very quick turnaround. Her heart was no longer enlarged on subsequent x-rays. It amazed me that the heart would go back to normal size so quickly.

Do they think he isn't going to cooperate with holding still?

Why are they putting him out to do a chest x-ray? I had an 8 year old foster dog who suddenly quit eating and was breathing really fast. I brought her in to the vet and they did an x-ray right then and found out that she had an enlarged heart and congestive heart failure. Her 2 follow up x-rays in the next few weeks also were done without sedation of any kind. BTW, on medication (Lasik), she was fine and made a very quick turnaround. Her heart was no longer enlarged on subsequent x-rays. It amazed me that the heart would go back to normal size so quickly.

Do they think he isn't going to cooperate with holding still?

I dont know, i think there only gonna put him out slightly not full on out of it, they might do it with putting him out :confused:

Do hope they find out soon why Charlie is coughing. sorry to hear he was also sick today, Jasper had to have xray, ECG and heart scan last year and they told us he may have to be sedated, but he co-operated fully so he did`nt need one, which was good, keep us informed how it all goes, such a shame you have to travel so far, good luck for Friday.:xfngr:

Do hope they find out soon why Charlie is coughing. sorry to hear he was also sick today, Jasper had to have xray, ECG and heart scan last year and they told us he may have to be sedated, but he co-operated fully so he did`nt need one, which was good, keep us informed how it all goes, such a shame you have to travel so far, good luck for Friday.:xfngr:

Thanks, :smile: :l*v:

Just got back from dropping him off at the vets, she gave him an injection to calm him down, i didnt wanna leave him :( His little face as we left the room. We have to ring them up at 1:30pm this afternoon and she's gonna let us know how everything went and stuff, hope he's ok :l*v:

Charlotte, just got updated with Charlie.Keeping my fingers crossed something is sorted soon.Keep us posted.Hugs for you and Charlie :hug:

Thanks everyone, its not exactley good news though, the vets done the chest xray and they said that his heart is enlarged :( so now he has to be put on medication, we're going back to the vets in 2 weeks to see how he is doing. Vet said not to take him on walks till the cough has gone and till we go back to the vets for check up, he's been put on steroids which she said may make him put on weight and he may get thirsty a lot more and wee a lot more... :(
He has to take 2 tablets a day. :(
Its quite a lot to take in and im still getting over the shock of it, i really didnt think it was gonna be an enlarged heart, i thought it was gonna be his lungs or something like that.
Also i just want to say thank you to everyone who was so nice to me and offering to take me to the vets :l*v:

At the moment he's asleep downstairs he's still a bit woosy from the injection

So sorry to read about Charlie Charlotte, at least you know what his problem is now and with medication his cough will improve. My Jasper has the same problem, he has been on medication since January 2009 and this has greatly reduced his cough and with regular check ups, we went quite a lot initially because they had to adjust the Frusimide tablet to remove the fluid from around his heart and this tablet was decreased in amount. We go about once in 3 months for checks and more medication, last time this week. I know it is a shock at first as I felt but with regular check ups I am sure Charlie will be fine, sending you hugs.:hug:

Hi Charlotte, I am so sorry to hear your news, I am sure you will get plenty of good advice from people here. If you get stuck for transport my offer still stands, I don't live that far from you. Sending you and Charlie hugs :hug:

Hi Charlotte. I'm sorry I have only just seen this thread. Poor little fella and it must be a shock for you :hug: You've done your best and he should be feeling a lot better once the pills start working.

Thank-you, you've all really helped me get through this, the coughing started a few months ago i just wish we had gone to the vets earlier about it. I know i cant blame myself but i still kind of do, you've all been a great support :l*v: :smile:

Back