• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advocate - Where To Buy

Brian M

Hi

I need to buy more spot on treatment and due to the ever increasing posts regarding lungworm I am going to change fron Frontline to Advcate ,one is prescription free the other a prescription is needed .So for the first time ever I phoned my regular vets ,the one I have a reserved seat in ,and made my request that if I printed off a form would they kindly sign it for me ,yes was the answer but for a small fee of £10.00 per signature and by the way we sell it as well at £28.00 for 3 pipettes so for 3 months supply times 4 Cavaliers equals £112.00 while online http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/dogs_v_4060.html?gclid=CMjwhqT1l6ECFUGX2AodkC1VPA

they are £4.00 each times 12 = £48.00 + £40.00 grand total £98.00

What do vets normally charge for a prescription pls.

The vets I used to use started to charge for prescriptions, it was £12.50 if I remember correctly. Could be more now as that was some time ago. I now get prescriptions from the PDSA, they don't charge. You could try asking them for a few months supply on one prescription.

Brian, not meaning to hijack your thread but just wanted to ask, does Advocate treat most things in one application then? I used my last pipette of Frontline at the weekend and I'm considering shopping around for a different treatment (If I find one more beneficial)

Thanks

If it's any help I use Advocate - try a few vets mine has a promotion for three for the price of two at the moment, might be worth asking...I used frontline for years but last year Barney had a massive flea allergy problem and swelled up!! His face looked very abnormal bless him :( I told the vet I'd treated him with Frontline with no problems before but according to the vets it seems to be less effective than it was (personally I think it's now a waste of money.)

Advocate treats worms and fleas so is good for my cat too (No way I'm trying to get tablets down her neck!!) I think there's one type of worm it doesn't treat - can't remember which one so I use Drontal periodically.

We used Frontline from our vets for years on Sonny. Last year when we went to stock up our vet had stopped using Frontline and was using Advocate which we duly bought. Don't know if it's a coincidence but returning from Skye last year Sonny brought home a tick , something he had never had before.

I know you can get ticks from fields etc but we always exercised Sonny on the braes near our home and never had this problem before. I stopped using the Advocate and our local chemist stocks Frontline which we returned to using with Sonny and now use on Kaley.

I'm not saying getting the tick had anything to do with the Advocate but it seemed strange to us that we never encountered any probs with ticks before.

Hi

So apart from the normal bugs they both cover are we saying frontline for all but not lungworm and advocate for all but not ticks .:confused:

Frontline doesn't treat worms as far as I know but I think it does kill ticks (the swines still cling on though!!) Advocate does treat lungworm as far as I know - hang on I'll look at the box!!

Checked with hubby and according to him Frontline protects from ticks but Advocate does not. Wish there was something that sort of "covered "everything.

Right Advocate treats the following :
Fleas, Biting Lice, Ear Mites, Sarcoptic Mange, Demodicosis, Heartworm, Angiostrongylus Vasorum (Whatever that is!!) Roundworm, Hookworm and Whipworm. So you're right that it doesn't treat Lungworm, I knew there was one!! But a Drontal tablet in and out sorts this one. Apparently they get these from eating slugs and snails - nice (Why Advocaate doesn't treat for this I don't know)
Frontline treat fleas and lice but not worms.

we switched from frontline to advocate. Our vets charged £6 for each prescription but you are able to use each prescription repeated three times. we used to order ours from petmeds and would just buy all the meds in bulk ...it would work out cheaper to buy it that way

Hi Brian,

Our four girls are also on ADVOCATE once a month, this does the fleas and worms apart from one worm......tapeworm (which is transmitted by fleas).

They also have a drontal tablet to cover the tapeworm every 3-4 months

If you want to cover from ticks aswell then you need ADVANTIX instead of the above ( we were advised by the vets to have the advantix when the weather gets warmer in the summer months or if they are walked in long grass).

We pay £33 per month for the advocate for the four of them and the drontal is £2.71 per tablet.I also did what you are doing and tried to find it cheaper online but we worked out by the time we had paid 4 x£10 for prescription charges and then p & p we were actually better off staying with the vets and getting them weighed and checked over at the same time.
Needless to say our vets LOVE us!!!:rolleyes:

Hope this has helped to give you some idea of what we pay.

Diane
Millie,Maisy,Megan and Mischa

Ahh I didn't know the fancy name for lungworm :) I knew it didn't treat one of them though!! ( Thinking back to Cassies puppy check she recommended Advocate as puppies tend to eat things they shouldn't) As Barney and Taylor the cat are treated with this I stuck to the same...3 for the price of 2 helped a bit!!

Back