• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Syringomyelia symposium

Just another word on microchips and MRI scanning - my dog's neurologist said that rarely, but sometimes, the MRI can affect the chip's signal. Three of my dogs have had MRIs and I had their chips checked afterwards at their regular vet. All of them were o.k. But I felt that it couldn't hurt to check. Has anyone else heard of that (MRIs interfering with the chip rather than the chip interfering with the scan)?

I think all dogs should be chipped too!!! Will check Barneys after his scan to be sure it sill works :) Thanks..

Yes I attended an official course run by vets, and you are not allowed to be authorised until they are happy with your technique - we actually had to take two of our own dogs and chip them, after practising on a cuddly toy.
Nicki where I am even Veterinarians have to do an approved Course in Microchip Implantation as mentioned in our Government DPI Regulations.

An Authorised Implanter is:
For the purposes of implanting a cat or dog:

1. Registered Veterinarians (Victorian registration) who have undertaken the DPI approved "Australian Veterinary Association Victorian Microchip Implementation Course".

2. Persons with Certificate IV / Advanced Certificate in Veterinary Nursing, Certificate III in Animal Technology, Certificate IV in Animal Control and Regulation / Animal Welfare (Regulation) or another approved qualification
. . o who have successfully completed the VBN287 Course in Microchip Implantation Procedures Competency for Cats and Dogs, and
. . o who are employed by, or have a written agreement for supervision with, a veterinarian.

Just to let everyone know what happens where I am.

Mandatory microchipping laws started years ago in one state of Australia, then over the years has gradually spread to other states around Australia. Prior to mandatory microchipping there was a voluntary stage.

Where I am by the Law the breeder must microchip every pup before selling or giving away the pups, a form is filled with all the details by the breeder plus also by the autharised implanter and then that form is sent to Central Animal Records.

When someone purchases a pup, another form is filled in by the breeder, that form is then handed to the puppy purchaser where the purchaser must fill in the rest of that form then send it to Central Animal Records this to transfer ownership. If the puppy purchaser does not fill in the form and send it in, Central Animal Records will still have the breeder listed as the owner. In the case of a lost form the puppy purchaser would have to contact the breeder and request them to send another form.

In Australia Local Governments implemented "by-laws" that require owners to supply microchip details for all new registrations/licenses and all dogs must have Local Government registrations/licenses. If someone tries to obtain a registration/license and has not got the microchip number then officials will ask where did they obtain the dog from and where they may investigate.

Authorised Inspectors have door knocked throughout my area checking registrations/licenses and for various permits where required, and yes they also have microchip scanners. At puppy farms every dog has a registration/license and also is microchipped and the inspectors can check each dog one by one. Some puppy farmers and backyard breeders do hide but the more pups they sell then the more likely they will get caught, and even a lady enquiring to buy a pup just might be an Inspector.

Rachael/Cardinia quotes Clare Rusbridge saying: 'The skull shape changes with CM, a dog can have smaller frontal sinuses.'

This raises an interesting question. People assume that the change in skull shape in Cavaliers - especially deeper stops - is the cause of CM. But could it actually be the result of CM altering the shape of the top and front of the skull? Could CM have been present in Cavaliers (as a genetic mutation of some kind?) long before scanning was possible, and over the years led to the deeper stops which have become so common?

Guesswork - but I like starting interesting hares!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Syringomyelia Symposium

Kate,

Could I give you my thoughts about your Post.

I have wondered whether the Alteration of the Dome Shape Skull of the King Charles Spaniel to get the Flat Shaped Skull required for the Cavalier Breed in the 1930's ,could some-how be being involved with the CM Cavalier Problem.

Maybe this is why so many Cavaliers now-a-days have CM.Those CM Genes will maybe be spread every-where.

Bet

Just another word on microchips and MRI scanning - my dog's neurologist said that rarely, but sometimes, the MRI can affect the chip's signal. Three of my dogs have had MRIs and I had their chips checked afterwards at their regular vet. All of them were o.k. But I felt that it couldn't hurt to check. Has anyone else heard of that (MRIs interfering with the chip rather than the chip interfering with the scan)?

I was at the meeting. I have recorded most of the presentation by Clare Rusbridge.
This was raised in questions and answers:
"the Microchip will warp the image considerably. The Microchip has stopped her operating on a dog because they couldn't decide whether it was a chip or a disc.
Apparently the microchip can expand the central canal slightly and you have to be careful the microchip is not causing the problem rathan than the disease.

A less experienced technician might not be able to deal the microchip if it is in the wrong place. Clare said she had a skinny dog (yorkshire Terrier) and had to take the skin that was holding the microchip and had to tack it back onto the dogs back whilst doing the scan.
Clare said when you have a microchip inserted make sure it is as far back as possible ideally over the Thoracic Vertebrae.

I have two recordings, the second one was the question and answers, I am sure people will find this particularly interesting. I would post it here but I am not sure if I am allowed to. If anyone would like a copy of it, I am happy to e mail.

There was also a discussion about skull shapes and sizes etc. Over the weekend I will transcribe this for anyone who is interested.

kind regards

Syringomyelia Symposium

I was at the meeting. I have recorded most of the presentation by Clare Rusbridge.
This was raised in questions and answers:
"the Microchip will warp the image considerably. The Microchip has stopped her operating on a dog because they couldn't decide whether it was a chip or a disc.
Apparently the microchip can expand the central canal slightly and you have to be careful the microchip is not causing the problem rathan than the disease.

A less experienced technician might not be able to deal the microchip if it is in the wrong place. Clare said she had a skinny dog (yorkshire Terrier) and had to take the skin that was holding the microchip and had to tack it back onto the dogs back whilst doing the scan.
Clare said when you have a microchip inserted make sure it is as far back as possible ideally over the Thoracic Vertebrae.

I have two recordings, the second one was the question and answers, I am sure people will find this particularly interesting. I would post it here but I am not sure if I am allowed to. If anyone would like a copy of it, I am happy to e mail.

There was also a discussion about skull shapes and sizes etc. Over the weekend I will transcribe this for anyone who is interested.

kind regards

Syringomyelia Symposium

Tania ,I would be so interested to get you can send

Bet

Tania please could you send me a copy too? Thank you very much for doing this :flwr:

Are you happy for it to be forwarded to other people too?

You would need permission from Dr Clare Rusbridge before posting a transcript - I don't think she would object but perhaps you could e-mail her?

Syringomyelia Symposium

Kate,

Could I give you my thoughts about your Post.

I have wondered whether the Alteration of the Dome Shape Skull of the King Charles Spaniel to get the Flat Shaped Skull required for the Cavalier Breed in the 1930's ,could some-how be being involved with the CM Cavalier Problem.

Maybe this is why so many Cavaliers now-a-days have CM.Those CM Genes will maybe be spread every-where.

Bet

SYRINGOMYELIA SYMPOSIUM

Could I add a further thought to my Post.

Is it possible that because of this Alteration that was carried out in the 1930's , CM was taking place, and this caused less Space in the Skulls of Cavaliers .

Were any other Toy Breeds involved in having their Skulls Altered from other Breeds ,if not, is this why Cavaliers seem to be showing more signs of CM.

Then because the Cavaliers Heads have become Smaller than they were 30 years ago ,this could all be being linked to their SM Problem.

In Eilidh M.Stenning's Book ,Published in 1964,in Page 14, there right and wrong Descriptions of Cavalier Heads.

In the Wrong Description ,is a Photo ,which shows a Cavalier Head ,which has a Deep Stop,and Short Muzzle.

This looks like so many of To-Days Cavaliers.

Bet

Back