• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need help please

I am a new member and this is my first post,

i have 2 cavaliers, Harry aged 5 and Jasper aged 5 months

Jasper has been having these episodes where he will colapse is unable to stand but is well aware of whats going on around him, his tail still wags in true cavalier form they last a few seconds to a min and is back to his usual happy self, his first episode was the day we brought him home and he has 2 or 3 a week.

i have read on here about falling syndrome and the videos that i have seen are exactly like Jaspers episodes.

is his life in danger?? :confused::(

Thanks

Have looked at the videos on youtube and it is exactly like Jasper
my neighbour seen him have an episode today and she was in bits :( but then couldn't believe how quickly he recovered

he's such a sweet dog, so laid back and loving i just hate to see him like this :(

Oh goodness that is scary. :hug:

it is when it's happening, but he's back to his happy self within minutes :D

my vet does home boarding and Harry and Japer stayed with him for a week in March, and he only said that Jasper didn't like going on walks, never mentioned anything else x

Do you usually hold him while it happens? I've seen videos of EF before but he really does throw himself about, I'm worried he'll bang himself on something.

yeah but i wanted to record him this time so i can show my vet, thought it would be better than trying to explain

as soon as i got what i needed i did give him a hug to sooth him til it passed x

We experienced this with Oz, my youngest, when he was about 4 months old. He looked very similar to Jaspar in that he kept trying to get up but couldn't. He was also very aware of what was going on at the time so I know it wasn't a seizure. Like Jaspar, he recovered very soon and acted like nothing had happened. He has not had an episode since that young age. Sometimes I believe they grow out of it (as Oz did), sometimes it stays with them. I took him to my neurologist since I already had a relationship with one as I have a dog with SM. He examined him - no neurological deficits and said to just watch him.

Since Jaspar is having 2-3 a week, I would definitely go to the link Margaret suggested and try to get in contact with someone who can give you better medical information about what you should be doing. Good luck.

My Barney had similar last year, never before though and he's eight tomorrow!! He collapsed on several occasions when excited over food (now there's a surprise!!) I thought he fainted the first time but he was aware. He lies on the floor and twitches a bit. His episodes only lasted about thirty seconds, then he'd leap up like nothing had happened and eat his food.
The first time was very scary though, I also thought maybe he was fitting.

He doesn't roll though so maybe just similar.

He was checked out thoroughly at the vets and even stayed in to see what would happen but they found nothing wrong.

In the last year it hasn't happened as badly but ever so often he twitches a little strangely for about ten seconds then is fine again.

Weird thing eh?

Oh too bad. I would think about going to see a neurologist since Jasper has several episodes a week. There may be some medication that will slow down the process.

Hi and welcome to the board :).

While you would want to get a professional opinion on Jasper's case, I think it is important to note that having him checked by a neurologist would be pretty urgent, I think. Episodic Falling can be fatal and can be a very serious problem and giving how many episodes he is already having, I'd get him to a neurologist right away to ask whether he should be placed on one of the seizure medications that have been found to help some dogs. Some dogs have a few episodes then never again. some recur on and off, some, as with epilepsy, get gradually worse. It affects dogs very differently. When they have these seizures they need to be supervised and the seizures can grow worse over time or may get better or even stop entirely. Sadly I do know of several dogs who have had to be pts due to this condition at a young age so I cannot stress enough that this does need medical supervision if the episodes are happening this frequently. It would be very urgent to inform his breeder as well as the parents should never be bred again if they have produced EFS. Any responsible breeder will want to know they have produced a case so they can take ethical decisions about their breeding programme. (y)

Along with the EFS site, there is also detailed information here:

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/episodic_falling.htm

You are incidentally (and fortunately!) not too far I believe from the world's leading expert on the condition, Jacques Penderis, so that is who I'd go see:

Dr. Penderis, Clinical Neurology / Neurosurgery Service, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Glasgow, Bearsden Road, Glasgow G61 1QH, Tel: +(44) 0141 330 5738 (office), Email: [email protected]

The EFS website is a great resource and full of advice. You can see from information there that there is a spectrum of affectedness. Very little is really known about this condition except that it only seems to occur in cavaliers. :(

On an entirely anecdotal and personal note, while I have not read that it affects a particular colour more than any other, almost every single case I have known about has been a ruby so I would wonder whether there is some genetic predisposition more common in rubies.

The very best of luck in managing this and let us know what a neurologist recommends.

Hi,

Sorry I haven't been on in a while, Jaspers breeder was shocked but is adamant the illness didnt come from her dogs :bang: wonder how he got it then? :rolleyes:

Anyway, have been in regular contact with our vet (who cares for our dogs when we go away) and I am happy to say he is hardly having any attacks at the moment. he's having maybe 1... or 2 a month max :-D and they are getting shorter too, only lasting a few seconds.

So things are looking up for now :wggle:

Back