• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Long lived cavaliers

Bet

I have been thinking for quite a while about Long Lived Cavaliers ,and after reading N .Ingls's Chatterbox this morning I thought I'd Post these thoughts.

I have said before that I don't think there will be any-body in the Cavalier World who will have collected the ages of Long Lived Cavaliers other than me, and have the List of around 2,000 of those Cavaliers ages 12 years upwards held in the Kennel Club Library , London.

( Could I be allowed to mention , I don't think that could be the Work of a Person whose Mental State is being called into Question by Some-one who is hoping to become a UK CKCS CLUB Committee Member)

Oh Boy did that Hurt!!!!

Back to the Long Lived Cavaliers.

I know that there are Cavaliers who do live well into Old Age, for example Tuppence, who lived to 19 years -4 months -3 weeks and her Litter Sister Penny who lived to 17.5 years, but all the reports of Long Lived Cavaliers should not make Cavalier Owners be Lulled into a False Sense of Security,there is still a Serious MVD Problem in the Cavalier Breed.

I have quoted the Cavalier Health Article written by Tom Boardman in Dog World ,3 -7-1998 ,here is a wee bit more from it.

The INTIMATION that Cavaliers might have a General Health Problem had Long been Accepted by BREEDERS,EXHIBITORS and OWNERS of the Breed, but little had been done as there was no indication how wide-spread it was ,what it might be ,nor what might be done about it.

They were aware that some Cavaliers were not particulary Long-Lived ,though others seemed to a normal Life Span of 12 years upwards .

Reports from Vets were more Critical about the Health of Cavaliers , ( is the Sad Comment Written in 1998 ,could it be Applied to to-day's SM Problem in Cavaliers) that those Reports from the Vets tended to be DISCOUNTED by Breeders.

In the Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed .

WAS IT EVER THUS!!!

The Vets' Comments in the Cavalier Health Article in the 1998 DOG WORLD ,also made this telling comment,.

As the Number of Cavaliers Bred each year was 10 TIMES HIGHER than any other TOY BREED except Yorkshire Terriers , naturally Vets would encounter many more Cavaliers in their Surgeries than any other Toy Breed.

As I have mentioned it was because of this Dr P.Darke , the CKCS Club's Cardiologist , decided to carry out Surveys at CKCS Shows ,this was started in 1983.

It was still mentioned at last year's AGM ,that 50% of Cavaliers WILL have a Heart Mutmur at 5 years of Age ,that this figure is no Better than it was 18 years ago.

Is this maybe because there are now so many Cavaliers around to-day who are Carriers of the MVD Gene/Genes?

It just cannot be claimed that because some Cavaliers do live onto a good age and that environmental causes might be involved because other Cavaliers are not so lucky, .

It has to be accepted that the Cavaliers have a Massive MVD Problem ,and if the SM Problem is not tackled properly by Cavalier Breeders MRI Scanning their Breeding Stock, then any-one wanting a Cavalier in 10-20 years time , could discover that there is NO Cavalier Breed left.

Bet

Long Lived Cavaliers

I have been thinking for quite a while about Long Lived Cavaliers ,and after reading N .Ingls's Chatterbox this morning I thought I'd Post these thoughts.

I have said before that I don't think there will be any-body in the Cavalier World who will have collected the ages of Long Lived Cavaliers other than me, and have the List of around 2,000 of those Cavaliers ages 12 years upwards held in the Kennel Club Library , London.

( Could I be allowed to mention , I don't think that could be the Work of a Person whose Mental State is being called into Question by Some-one who is hoping to become a UK CKCS CLUB Committee Member)

Oh Boy did that Hurt!!!!

Back to the Long Lived Cavaliers.

I know that there are Cavaliers who do live well into Old Age, for example Tuppence, who lived to 19 years -4 months -3 weeks and her Litter Sister Penny who lived to 17.5 years, but all the reports of Long Lived Cavaliers should not make Cavalier Owners be Lulled into a False Sense of Security,there is still a Serious MVD Problem in the Cavalier Breed.

I have quoted the Cavalier Health Article written by Tom Boardman in Dog World ,3 -7-1998 ,here is a wee bit more from it.

The INTIMATION that Cavaliers might have a General Health Problem had Long been Accepted by BREEDERS,EXHIBITORS and OWNERS of the Breed, but little had been done as there was no indication how wide-spread it was ,what it might be ,nor what might be done about it.

They were aware that some Cavaliers were not particulary Long-Lived ,though others seemed to a normal Life Span of 12 years upwards .

Reports from Vets were more Critical about the Health of Cavaliers , ( is the Sad Comment Written in 1998 ,could it be Applied to to-day's SM Problem in Cavaliers) that those Reports from the Vets tended to be DISCOUNTED by Breeders.

In the Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed .

WAS IT EVER THUS!!!

The Vets' Comments in the Cavalier Health Article in the 1998 DOG WORLD ,also made this telling comment,.

As the Number of Cavaliers Bred each year was 10 TIMES HIGHER than any other TOY BREED except Yorkshire Terriers , naturally Vets would encounter many more Cavaliers in their Surgeries than any other Toy Breed.

As I have mentioned it was because of this Dr P.Darke , the CKCS Club's Cardiologist , decided to carry out Surveys at CKCS Shows ,this was started in 1983.

It was still mentioned at last year's AGM ,that 50% of Cavaliers WILL have a Heart Mutmur at 5 years of Age ,that this figure is no Better than it was 18 years ago.

Is this maybe because there are now so many Cavaliers around to-day who are Carriers of the MVD Gene/Genes?

It just cannot be claimed that because some Cavaliers do live onto a good age and that environmental causes might be involved because other Cavaliers are not so lucky, .

It has to be accepted that the Cavaliers have a Massive MVD Problem ,and if the SM Problem is not tackled properly by Cavalier Breeders MRI Scanning their Breeding Stock, then any-one wanting a Cavalier in 10-20 years time , could discover that there is NO Cavalier Breed left.

Bet

Should have also said.

How many of Long Lived Cavaliers would have no SM, how many would have been MRI Scanned?

Is that not now the $64.000 Question that should be being asked?

I know when I was collecting the ages of the Long Lived Cavaliers ,I had never heard of SM, I spoke to a good number of Cavalier Breeders who are unfortunately no longer with us ,maybe if I had been aware about SM ,I could ,as I did from them,find out about the Heart Trouble in our Cavalier Breed, could have discovered how long SM could have
been in Cavaliers.

Bet

I know some live to an older age but I heard yesterday that Barneys' dad died in his sleep last week aged fourteen and a half, not a bad age I think bless him.

I don't know about his personal health issues but it is a healthy line in general, I got Barney more by luck than judgement, knowing what I know now I wish I'd not had him castrated as overall he's a healthy dog (and no heart murmour :) not bad at eight!!)

If he wasn't castrated I'd have had him MRI scanned for SM as I know this is being looked into with older dogs for research.

Cassie our new puppy is from a lovely breeder who scans and has sent two to be scanned this week. Barneys' dad is in her pedigree too so hopefully will have some influence in how things go for her!! (I hope so!!)

Whenever I think about Leo and how short-lived the Cavalier breed generally is (average life expectancy 9-10 years), I want to burst into tears.

I hate to think about my baby going early. That's why I pay forty dollars a month to Embrace pet insurance. If anything goes wrong with him, I don't want to have to worry!

I feel the same, Barney is insured with Pet plan on a covered for life policy, expensive but good peace of mind, and I keep a good eye on his weight....Apparently on recent evidence dogs at the lighter end of "normal" weight are living longer.

I have a fabulous vet too.

Having the puppy around has made me realise Barney is not so young anymore...where does the time go?? He's going a bit grey around the eyes now. I will be devastated when he's not around anymore :(
Hopefully he'll follow after his Daddy and be around for a long time yet.

My sister has a German Shepherd the same age and they tend not to live much past ten either :(

Feel depressed now lol

Should have also said.

How many of Long Lived Cavaliers would have no SM, how many would have been MRI Scanned?

Is that not now the $64.000 Question that should be being asked?

I know when I was collecting the ages of the Long Lived Cavaliers ,I had never heard of SM, I spoke to a good number of Cavalier Breeders who are unfortunately no longer with us ,maybe if I had been aware about SM ,I could ,as I did from them,find out about the Heart Trouble in our Cavalier Breed, could have discovered how long SM could have
been in Cavaliers.

Bet

LONG LIVED CAVALIERS.

Thanks Rod,

I should have noticed that that I had missed out the words Few or No Common Ancestors, unfortunately the Cyber Bullies on the CC List noticed , and as usual made most of it.

The only good thing about this is to know that they must be reading all my Posts.

Bet

LONG LIVED CAVALIERS.

Thanks Rod,

I should have noticed that that I had missed out the words Few or No Common Ancestors, unfortunately the Cyber Bullies on the CC List noticed , and as usual made most of it.

The only good thing about this is to know that they must be reading all my Posts.

Bet

Sorry Folks,

Made another mistake ,this was meant for the In-Breeding in CKCS Thread !!!! Time I had a Coffee!

Bet

If he wasn't castrated I'd have had him MRI scanned for SM as I know this is being looked into with older dogs for research.

Terea, sorry to hear that Barney's dad has passed away but great to hear that he lived to a good age.

If you would be prepared to have Barney MRI'd, please could you e-mail Penny Knowler [email protected] with his pedigree to see if perhaps he might be suitable for the Rupert's Fund project?

It does not matter for this whether they are entire or not, it is their pedigree that is of interest.

I hope you have many more years wtih Barney yet

Thanks Nicki, I hope Barney's around for years yet :)

Interesting about the MRI scanning, I did think it was just entire dogs being looked into.

Barneys dad was Homerbrent Expression, his mum was Diana Dors of Homerbrent, can't find much out about her on the net though...I will dig out his pedigree and get in touch!!

Back