• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Walking my Cavaliers

jankal

I have 3 beautiful cavaliers, all about a year old. I have been walking them a mile every day for several weeks. It is getting warmer and my larger cavalier seems to take a lot longer to cool off (recover) than the two smaller ones. She has a good heart, but, I am worried that maybe the walk is a little long for her as it gets warmer. I do carry water and give them a shot along the way. Is a mile too long for them to walk?

A mile a day is about the minimum needed to keep adult Cavaliers fit, but when the weather gets hot, try and walk them before the sun gets high - early morning or later in the evening, which are the most comfortable times for humans too! Woodland walks are particularly appreciated. Then during the day keep the house as cool as possible; I find that opening outside doors and windows early in the morning, to let in cool air, and then as the sun gets up closing curtains on the sunny side of the house will keep things nice and cool.

Really hot weather often means poor air quality and high humidity, and this puts real pressure on dogs' hearts - something you want to avoid with Cavaliers. If you really feel you need to shorten their walks, remember to cut down their food as well - otherwise you're going to reach autumn with very tubby Cavaliers!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

You also might want to consider whether there's some other reason that she takes longer to recover -- though you don't really describe what it is that she does that seems to indicate it takes longer. Panting? Needing to lie down for a long time? Drinking more water than the others? Heavy breathing? it she is around one, she's at the age where you might start to see a problem with her knees for example -- luxating patella -- and so if she is seeming to tire earlier than the others or needing to lie down for a longer period of time perhaps it is hips or knees. Also, I'm some Cavaliers have more breathing difficulties than others due to their foreshortened palate. For such a dog, a lot of exercise might be too difficult. You can read more about this at www.cavalierhealth.org.

Good Info!

I just read info on the site you referred me to and it fits her exactly. She excessively pants after exercise and lays out on the cool floor. She does snore loudly and at times seems to have little "snorting" spells. I will confirm with vet and try to accommodate her problem with light exercise and "less food" so she does not get too overweight
Thanks

Back