• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Peeing in dog beds

Holly

UGHHHH my Rosalita is driving me bonkers with this. Any time I set a dog bed out for them, she pees in it. I caught her a few times so I know it's her. She is marking them, I believe.

I wash those beds just about every night and add vinegar or Nature's Miracle (enzymatic cleaner) to the water. I don't want to put the beds away because Oliver and Scarlett like to lay in them-- especialy when I leave the house and leave the 3 pups in the X-pen. I set the exercise pen up in my sunroom which has tile floor so I want them to have something soft to lay on. I am sooo tired of washing their beds!

Any suggestions??

Guinness has a blanket that is HIS. From the begininng I have only ever washed it with plain water (no detergent, no vinegar) so that it can be clean, but still maintain enough scent for him to recognize it. Maybe skip the enzymes and see if you can find a happy medium where you can't smell it but she can.

Hi holly,

I know how you feel, our 18wk old puppy has just peed on MY bed as i type this!!! :eek:
changing a whole bed at this time of night is not fun.!!!
She does it on the dogs cushion upstairs and also the 'beanie' that all four of them chill out on in the daytime but luckily this is waterproof.

she is a terror :D

I would also be interested in suggestions.:)

Mine does this too!

My 1 year old girl ALWAYS pee's in her bed! I can't begin to count how many times I've washed it only to have her pee in it 5mins later. She used to pee on my bed all the time too, not fun!! But she hasn't done this in several months thank goodness

One of mine used to do this - he just grew out of it. It's so frustrating! When my sister dog visits, she pees in all of my guys beds even though she has her own and it drives me mad. They are sneaky pees so we don't realise for a day or two, thinking she is being good for once. It is definitely a marking/smell thing with her. The amount of washing that ends up being done is ridiculous, both beds and dogs have to be done. She is the quietest dog, so easy to mind, but the peeing makes up for it ten fold! :mad:

Yep - my poodle pees in one of the german shepherd's bed occasionally. Interested in suggestions too.

Try wiping a small rag on the pee before you wash the bed. Then when you wash the bed put the rag on it so she can smell her scent. Once she has been in the bed remove the rag as the bed will be marked with her natural scent.

Good luck

Dave

Daisy only does this with brand new beds (I know -- nice, right?) But I know she is going to do it so I just watch her like a hawk and snatch it away if I see her squat. She never does it once she initially bapizes it. Not after washes or anything else. I had foster dogs last year with their own bed and I thought Daisy would sneak over and mark it, but she never did. Weird. It's like she knows what one is hers and just wants others to know it, too. She's definitely a smart cookie. BTW, today's her 4th birthday!!

Barney never has done that but Cassie has a few times.....seems strange as they're not suppposed to soil where they sleep.

Back