• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

FDA warning on bones...

Nicki

The US Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning to pet owners to avoid feeding their pets bones:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm208365.htm

This is appearing all over the Internet on blogs etc, many of whom are making the point that they could have added that bones can be a source of infectious agents like Salmonella, Campylobacter and E. coli, both for the pet and people, depending on the source of the bones and how they are processed and handled.

Dogs DO get E Coli and salmonella - sadly a friend lost a young puppy recently, the puppy had been eating chicken necks and although not the cause of death, there was a very high incidence of E Coli in the bowel, which may have affected the immune system.

My dogs do occasionally have chicken pieces {NOT wings}, and sometimes lamb ribs - obviously NEVER cooked bones. It's a hard one, mine do chew things very thoroughly..but I've also recently heard of a Cavalier and two King Charles Spaniels who choked to death on chicken wings :(:(

ETA I wish I could find a reasonably priced electric mincer which would cope with chicken bones!! At present we are back to mainly Markus Muelhe {a brilliant dry food available from Zooplus which is based on the prey model and is cold pressed, not baked and extruded} and some tripe/veg, some other raw meats and some home cooked meals.

ETA I wish I could find a reasonably priced electric mincer which would cope with chicken bones!!cooked meals.

Two years ago I bought a pair of Wilkinson Sword Secateurs, they still work really well
for chopping up chicken wings into bite size pieces. I think they cost around £20.00.

Back