• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eating??

MurphysMummy

Murphy is fed on one tin of Butchers in loaf a day..half in morning, half at night..He has to have tinned loaf because he has no teeth and biscuits make his gums sore..
But just lately he is not eating it so I've been mixing pasta, carrots and broccoli (his favourites) in to it.
And he will put his nose up at it then go back later to eat it..
Yet this morning he is not eating it at all..not even going near it, He won't even eat it out my hand..Yet he still eats toast crusts from me, and he had a whole bowl of milk
So Im really confused??
I even bought some different dog meat and tried it on him, he still won't eat it..
Is he just being fussy or is there a problem??

I wouldn't like to offer you advice but have you noticed how his toileting is?

His toileting is normal..Although he seems a little constipated so think his anal glands need emptying, He ate his dinner just now which is a bit late, I mixed it with rice..So hopefully he should be ok in the morning..Think he's just being a bit fussy!!!

How is he in himself?? Energy levels etc? if you're worried maybe a checkup at the vet is a good idea? Hope all sorts itself soon...x

Please correct me if I am wrong but I don’t think you should give dog’s cow’s milk, something to do with the lactose in it? I give mine goats milk. Mine also get bran flakes and goats milk from time to time.
Try getting Murphy Nature Diet that’s what I feed mine on. No rubbish in it. You get it in Syston’s Pet Shop. It is probably a bit more expensive then what you are feeding at the moment. Just get a few and see if he likes it.

I have read about not giving them cows milk but I have always given my dogs a small taste of milk first thing in the morning after doing their toilet and last thing at night before going to bed, they really relish it and do not appear to be harming them.

It is never anything like a full bowl, probably only 2 tbl spoons full at a time.

Cassie came to me having a little warm milk before bed, I've stopped this now but it didn't seem to do her any harm...

Anal Glands

Hi MurphyMummy

I have found that Scarlett will sometimes seem reluctant to eat - not like her lol.I've found after expressing her anal glands, a few hours later and her appetite had returned to normal.Maybe try that and offer him something smelly mixed into his food, like some sardines or pilchards?

Is he drinking?

I wonder if sometimes with anal glands, if it can make their tummy feel not so good, hence the non eating? :confused:

Hi MurphyMummy

I have found that Scarlett will sometimes seem reluctant to eat - not like her lol.I've found after expressing her anal glands, a few hours later and her appetite had returned to normal.Maybe try that and offer him something smelly mixed into his food, like some sardines or pilchards?

Is he drinking?

I wonder if sometimes with anal glands, if it can make their tummy feel not so good, hence the non eating? :confused:

My mum said he looks constipated aswell..the way he walks. So i'm guessing its anal glands..and he is finding it hard to scoop food out of his bowl thats what the problem was all along ..So now to find a new method for him to eat lol..and as for milk if i ever give it him again i'll dilute it with water or just give him a bit. thanks for all your help x

Back