Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken bones in my garden.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Chicken bones in my garden.

How on earth did a chicken leg bone get into my garden

I saw Dylan walking back to the house in a low sort of squatting fashion, all four legs bent, body low to the ground, he's never done this before. He looked in real pain. He left something odd looking on the lawn. He came in and threw up a little. I went out to see what was on the lawn and it was a chicken leg bone. Unless there were more bones, I'd say he threw up what he had and left the rest in the garden. We haven't had chicken legs for a couple of weeks and I'm very careful about chicken bones.

This isn't the first time I found chicken bones in my garden. Where on earth are they coming from? Could it be cats or magpies dropping them? It's bin day today so maybe they dropped something.

Dylan is now hiding under my chair.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Do any of your neighbors have a gardening service? I've seen gardeners around my neighborhood eating lunch on client's lawns and I'm sure they leave some of their lunches lying around. They might have just thrown a chicken leg on the ground figuring some animal will eat it. Hope Dylan's o.k.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, lots of people have gardeners here.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Did you accidentally drop some "Chicken Leg" seeds in the garden?
    Tim

"May you live as long as you want, and may you not want as long as you live"....an Irish Blessing

Post Thanks / Like

is it probably the large birds (magpies, crows) dropping them.
    my meighbour feeds the seagulls and crows in her garden, and they always drop slices/chunks of bread in ours.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably cats or foxes Pauline.....there's so much in the press at the moment regarding foxes being so urban keep a close eye
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

Foxes in my front garden most nights. I'll check my garden more regularly in that case. Thanks Mel.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

I never even thought about other critters dropping chicken bones. I always figured I had crazy neighbours who just toss their bones wherever. I was so baffled by this behaviour. Birds or something dropping them makes a lot more sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Last summer, we found the feet and several feathers of what was clearly a live (at one point) chicken. We figured a hawk (a chicken hawk of course) probably carried it to a tree at the back of our yard and dropped what he didn't want. Luckily, it was right outside our fence so Daisy didn't have an extra special treat!

Hopefully it won't be a recurring event whatever it was so that Dylan doesn't hurt himself on one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to have that problem on my old street ...and often!! but at least the chicken bones were always on the curb grass, not in my lawn. I think it was a combination of animals getting to the bones in the garbage left overnight on the curb and also inconsiderate school kids who would walk along the sidewalk eating chicken from a neighborhood takeout place. Whatever reason, it is really REALLY annoying, isn't it?? I hope Dylan didn't have anymore than what he already threw up.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)