Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Luxating Patella Operation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    1,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Luxating Patella Operation

    Lucy was back at our vet today for her 2nd vac, Sue checked her knee & thinks it is slightly worse than 2 weeks ago so she's defo going for surgery

    I have her booked into Anicare at Blanchardstown for 15th June - Work is paying so I had a limited choice of a couple of vets & also my own vet aparently dosnt do orthopedic surgery.

    Would really like to hear anyones stories of their dogs surgeries...............

    This vets has a hydropool - I was thinking I might use it when Lucy is recovering (obviously not right away!)
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Scotland - east coast
    Posts
    9,954
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Oh I'm sorry to hear that Lucy has to go through the surgery. It is usually extremely successful though - if you search on here you will find many stories of dogs who have been through the op.

    You are very fortunate to have access to a hydropool - that will be of great assistance in Lucy's recovery. They will be able to tell you when to start and how long to continue for - it really helps as there is always muscle wastage as they don't want to use the leg for a while.


    Keep us posted - we will be thinking of you
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry Lucy has to have this operation. Sending you and Lucy our best wishes.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    2,614
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am sorry Lucy has to have the operation. My Ebony eventually has to have the same operation she was diagnosed about 2 years ago. I must admit I have been putting it off as she isnít in any pain. But I have noticed that if she runs around like a mad one she is lame for a few hours after so I have to give it some serous consideration. I have read a few posts on here and they all had a good outcome.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I was researching this before India had her knee surgery, and from what I've read, luxating patella left untreated can cause premature arthritis in the knee.

    There are lots of posts about patella surgery on this site!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    1,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks guys, Ive looked up a lot on the operation now & dont feel too bad about Lucy having it, Looking at her run the past few days I know she'll be better off after the operation! I just wish I didnt have to wait another 6 weeks to get it done, but she's being spayed on the 25th of this month so needs to get over that before she goes through a 2nd anesthetic.
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dungarvan, Co. Waterford
    Posts
    1,504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry to hear that Lucy has to go for surgery. I have no experience of the procedure so cant offer any advice but I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Essex
    Posts
    911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    This vets has a hydropool - I was thinking I might use it when Lucy is recovering (obviously not right away!)[/QUOTE]


    If it was me I would get her in the pool before the Surgery to build up the strength i the other leg especially so that no un-nesersary strain would be endured.
    I havent gone for surgery with Ruby who was diagnosed last year but instead took her swimminG!!
    It hast popped since 3 weeks after her first swim- it is a very sucessful aid if you can!!

    Good Luck !!

    Karen

    Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •