• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Luxating Patella Operation

Dublin

Lucy was back at our vet today for her 2nd vac, Sue checked her knee & thinks it is slightly worse than 2 weeks ago so she's defo going for surgery:(

I have her booked into Anicare at Blanchardstown for 15th June - Work is paying so I had a limited choice of a couple of vets & also my own vet aparently dosnt do orthopedic surgery.

Would really like to hear anyones stories of their dogs surgeries...............

This vets has a hydropool - I was thinking I might use it when Lucy is recovering (obviously not right away!)

Oh I'm sorry to hear that Lucy has to go through the surgery. It is usually extremely successful though - if you search on here you will find many stories of dogs who have been through the op.

You are very fortunate to have access to a hydropool - that will be of great assistance in Lucy's recovery. They will be able to tell you when to start and how long to continue for - it really helps as there is always muscle wastage as they don't want to use the leg for a while.

Keep us posted - we will be thinking of you

Sorry Lucy has to have this operation. Sending you and Lucy our best wishes. :hug:

I am sorry Lucy has to have the operation. My Ebony eventually has to have the same operation she was diagnosed about 2 years ago. I must admit I have been putting it off as she isn’t in any pain. But I have noticed that if she runs around like a mad one she is lame for a few hours after so I have to give it some serous consideration. I have read a few posts on here and they all had a good outcome.

I was researching this before India had her knee surgery, and from what I've read, luxating patella left untreated can cause premature arthritis in the knee.

There are lots of posts about patella surgery on this site!

Thanks guys, Ive looked up a lot on the operation now & dont feel too bad about Lucy having it, Looking at her run the past few days I know she'll be better off after the operation! I just wish I didnt have to wait another 6 weeks to get it done, but she's being spayed on the 25th of this month so needs to get over that before she goes through a 2nd anesthetic.

Sorry to hear that Lucy has to go for surgery. I have no experience of the procedure so cant offer any advice but I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts :flwr:

This vets has a hydropool - I was thinking I might use it when Lucy is recovering (obviously not right away!)[/QUOTE]

If it was me I would get her in the pool before the Surgery to build up the strength i the other leg especially so that no un-nesersary strain would be endured.
I havent gone for surgery with Ruby who was diagnosed last year but instead took her swimminG!!
It hast popped since 3 weeks after her first swim- it is a very sucessful aid if you can!!

Good Luck !!

Back