• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do You Think Belle Got a Cold from Kennel Cough Vaccine?

Desrae

Just about two weeks ago Belle got her boosters. The vet advised us to get the Kennel Cough vaccine if she was going to be around any other dogs. In June we're going to a fundraising event for a local rescue where there will be many dogs so we said yes to the vaccine. About 4-5 days later Belle started this weird coughing and snorting, which happens a few times a day. I rang the vet he said it might just be a side effect, lasts only a couple of days. I looked it up online and the information was the same. It seemed to subside but for the last day or so, especially since I vacuumed the floors today she's been at it again and I'm worried. Could she be sick now? What is going on? Her energy is her usual (which is low because of her diet food) and she is her usual self. Has anyone else had this experience?
I wished I would not have gotten the Kennel Cough vaccine now, it was probably not necessary!

I have has this happen to at least one of my dogs after a KC vax, it usually went way after a few days. She may be more sensitive to dust in the air, thus the coughing after the vacuuming, because her airways were slightly irritated anyway. If you are really worried or it lasts for a while, maybe give your vet a buzz or bring her to the vet to see if everything is ok.

I get mine KC vaccinated every year because I foster dogs that come directly from the pound for a rescue group and they tend to be riddles with everything. My Cavalier lady has had KC 3 times, another one of my dogs has had it twice and they can get very ill with it so some cold like symptoms for a while is definitely better than the real thing. If I can give them immunity to even some strains, then I will.

Hope your lady is feeling better soon.

Sorry to hear about this Desrae :(

I would keep a careful eye on her - sometimes the vet recommends Junior Benylin children's cough mixture if they carry on coughing.

I had a very bad experience with the KC vaccine - Rupert developed a low grade infection in his chest, which tracked up and caused his deafness :(:( So although this is extremely rare, I would personally never give that again - we use homoeopathic nosodes instead for this.

Rupert was coughing for a couple of weeks and did become very quiet and listless - so I think that is what I would be looking for. If you are worried then go back to the vet.

I know it's not uncommon for them to develop mild symptoms for a few days, like people do following flu vaccine - and again, it is EXTREMELY RARE for further complications to develop - so please do not worry; I just wanted to warn people not to ignore the symptoms but to monitor them carefully.

She's still the same but I am getting really worried. I might just ring the vet tomorrow morning and bring her in, just to be sure. She's a quiet girl anyway, so it's hard to tell sometimes if she out of sorts or not... she wasn't quiet as a pup and has quieted as she has matured.
Thanks for the replies lorebringer and Nicki.

Hope that Belle is feeling better! Over here the vet's are giving a flu shot to dogs going to shows etc. This is different from KC vaccine.

Heather R

I wouldn't really worry unless she gets worse, especially not if she is pretty indifferent.

I know of cases where KC has swept through kennels or pounds and caused actual deaths to unvaccinated dogs as they developed serious side complications -- eg pneumonia -- or became very, very ill with KC alone. My dogs, all KC vaccinated, where in one such kennel at such a time and not a bother on them, no KC, no illness. This is why kennels require KC vaccine -- other dogs can be at serious health risk and it can be a huge cost to the kennel to have to put all on antibiotics. That kennel now requires proof of KC vaccine for any dog staying there -- before they were more lax.

That said -- I'd not myself give the vaccine simply because the dogs were going to be around other dogs at a casual event. I would always keep them up to date with a vaccine before they go into kennels/boarding, however,and all places I leave the dogs require the vaccine as well. None of mine have ever had a side affect of any sort.

Just an update:
Belle went to the vet with a respiratory infection alright. She is ok now! Or should I say I am ok, I might have been worrying too much. The vet gave her an injection and meds so she'll be right as rain very soon. He said she seems well enough to probably be working it out anyway, since the only symptoms was a bit of stuffiness and coughing, you can never be too sure though! Phew.

Back