• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poppy had a bad day.

*Pauline*

Yesterday Poppy had a really bad day. First thing in the morning she passed a very soft stool with lots of mucus and blood with it. I didn't pick it up straight away so I didn't know, otherwise I would have acted differently. Though she didn't eat her breakfast, I gave it to her later in the morning. She would probably have been better on no food for a few hours. I gave her plain boiled rice with no meat for dinner in the evening and today.

In the afternoon, she jumped on the swing in the garden which has slats like a bench. Her leg slipped through the gaps and then she tried jumping off with her legs still caught. She was screaming poor girl. I picked her up and Dylan came running to help. I had to hold tight of her as she was climbing up me in her panic.

Today she did a normal firm stool with just a little blood mixed up in it, not on the outside, no mucus so I would say she's getting better.

I give up with James Wellbeloved, this is the second dog with colitis on it. Dylan had colitis regularly until he came off it.

Here's Poppy doing her "me me me" thing while I try to adjust Dylan's new harness. She's just so affectionate, I'm loving the cuddles. I really needed a girl like Poppy.
4592805636_5b5ff5a740_b.jpg

oh poor Poppy - hope she will be much better tomorrow.

Bless her - she wants you all to herself!

Poor Poppy, she looks quite happy in the picture. Looks as though Dylan is taking it all in his stride. Hope she has a better day tomorrow.

Hope Poppy is better today Pauline? That's a great photo of them both,

On the food front, I don't know if this helps.......we used to feed our 3 James Wellbeloved, until that is, Jake our Lab started to get upset stomachs all the time, now unusually for a Lab, he has always had a little bit of a delicate tummy, so we had to change food, and for the last 2 years we have fed ours Wainwrights from Pets at Home (I know it doesn't have the well known name,such as JWB or Royal Canin) which we found had quite a lot of great reviews on line, and since we switched - no one has had any major tummy upsets.......might be worth a think,

Price wise it's about the same as JWB,the difference is negligable, we pay £35 for a 15Kg bag,as opposed to the JWB....which I think is around £40

R.

Glad Poppy is feeling better. Love the last photo. It must have been frightening for you and Poppy to get her foot stuck like that.

Poor Poppy, maybe it's a bad case of PMS for our girl? ;o)

I hope she continues to improve.

Glad Poppy is feeling better.
The photos are great.
Isn't if strange how each dog varies with dog food. I have recently changed to JWB and so far have found it works really well with Bosco and his sensitive tummy.
Having said that, he had an interesting weekend pooh wise too! Since starting to take Pred for his SM he has turned into a right little scavanger - always looking for an opportunity to raid the bins. On Friday he had runny poohs and then in the afternoon he passed a 6 inch long piece of soft plastic :yuk::yuk::yuk:. This was followed with more strange poohs. So I put him on plain rice for 48 hours, he is more or less back to normal now :xfngr:
I have changed all the waste bins in the house to pedal bins, but he still manages to find things he shouldn't eat. With two grazing teenage boys in the house, there is always something available:rolleyes:

I just love that last picture too. I wonder why it is that I never quite reach the camera in time when something like that happens here????

About JWB dog food:

I used several flavours of JWB for the cavaliers over several years, while it used to be a small family firm. There was nothing fancey about them, they just made good dog food at a fair price.

Then Crown Pet Foods took over - they also manufacture Royal Canin. As usual I gave both puppy Winston then Bubbles their JWB Duck & Rice Puppy Food, which still claimed to be hypoallergenic. Both eventually had bloodstained loose stools, so eventually I changed to Royal Canin - no problems since.

Little Joe then Holly joined the pack as tiny pups later. Little Joe had been started on Pedigree Puppy from cans, which I slowly changed to RC Small Dog (Junior) without problems. Holly was already on RC, so no problems there either.

All the dogs are now of course on adult grade Royal Canin Small Dog (Adult) with a normal output at the business end. Personal Conclusion: Something changed when RC took over JWB, but I have no idea what, only that it is no longer suitable for many dogs and puppies.

What a poor little Poppy! That was a bad day indeed! Glad to know she is on the mend. Love the pictures, they are such cutie patuties.:)

Thanks jld and Desrae.

Thanks Flo, I agree with you. Poppy came to me on Royal Canin and was fine but as I don't drive and the only place I can get it is out of town, I opted for JWB which is available a short bus ride away on the bus.

I'm going to have to rethink. I'd like to use RC I think. It's nice and oily, smells nice too.

Last edited:
Back