• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Could She be lacking in something or is it normal?

kaytee576

Hi there, I have always cut my dogs nails myself, Very rarely (I think around 3 times) I have got the quick, I have had it happen with my mums dog Dilan and the bleeding was low and a pencil (I forgot what its called) I used stopped his blood straight away as it has with my dogs in the past.

Today though I cut Rosie's nails my Tri cavalier. They are white I so didn't mean to get the quick but I did :( it bled
and bled and I thought it was never ever gonna stop, the pencil did nothing..flour did nothing, tissue and pressure did nothing and it was coming out really fast and running down my arm and hands as we tried to stop it, After which seemed like forever and the blood flow at last started to slow I used the pencil and it seems to have stopped.
The blood at the start was too heavy for everything and I went through loads of kitchen towel.
I'm going to speak to her vet, I was wondering does it normally bleed really heavy and times before Ive been lucky? Or I'm wondering if It could be something like lacking in Vitamin K I think it is?
AS I said I will speak to the vet just wondered what your experiences were.
Many thanks xxx

the quick can bleed heavily but this does sound rather excessive - I think I would want to get it checked out just in case.

Hope everything is ok.

That amount of blood loss seems excessive.Daisy completely lost a toenail a while back and it was easy to control.
Definitely get an appointment with your vet and have her checked out for lungworm which can cause clotting problems.
Sins

Thanks for your replies :) I feel so bad 0_0 Rosie managed to get the little bandage off and now I see where I went wrong, You know if you clip a nail and catch the end of the quick? Shes got hardly any nail left :( I dont know how I managed it but somehow I must have clipped right in the middle of the quick, which explains why there was a lot more blood then there has been when in others just the end has been caught? Naughty mummy, it looks ok but there is a lesson to be learned..one buy my own nail clippers so Im not at mums when everyone is talking at the same time..buy my own pencil..actually maybe get the vets to do the nails when I go!!!
Hope this is why it bled a lot, gosh how easy is it to make mistakes? :(

Back