• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Urine infection?

kimy27

The other night Bailey had a strong fishy smell coming from her. I thought it was her anal glands and gave her a bath. Now all of a sudden she seems to be having pain in her pee pee area. She was playing fetch when all of a sudden she stopped and turned round to bite at her bum. At first I thought it was her SM untill I realised she was licking her pee pee area. The area looks pretty tender and smells pretty bad. Does this sound like a urine infection?

I am worried it might be something more serious as she is on metacam, frusemide and tramadol for her SM. I will call the vet first thing but thought I would get your opinions in the mean time.

Thanks

Not sure about the redness......my cat's been to the vet today as she has a UTI....her pee stinks badly!! And it really shouldn't as she has kidney failure it's very diluted usually.
It's a worry eh???

Yes it certainly is. Poor wee lamb. She seems pretty uncomfortable :(

Hope ur cat feels better soon :flwr:

It does sound like an infection - it could be vaginitis though if her vulva is red and sore.

You are doing the right thing going to the vets - untreated urine infections can track back up and cause problems with the kidneys:eek:

Is she peeing and drinking any more than usual? Is she spayed?

Try to get a urine sample to take with you - a plastic frisbee or a soup ladle are both quite effective to pop under them whilst they are peeing. Show the dog the item first and walk alongside them with it so they aren't frightened by it.

Then pour into a sterile jar {boiling water for 15 mins - obviously do the same with the ladle or frisbee}

Keep us posted

Thanks Nicki. Yes Bailey has been spayed. I had her down at the vets this morning and she definitely has an infection. There was no protein in her urine which is apparantly good news for her kidneys. She is, however, very smelly and sticky down below so the vet think she has vaginitis. She has been given a five day course of antibiotics so hopefully that should clear it up.

We also managed to pick up her gabapentin today so she will be starting on 100mg twice a day once she has finished her antibiotics. Poor lamb. She has so much medicine to take lol.

Poor Bailey.
At least you know what it is now. Wishing Bailey a speedy recovery.

My Cavalier lady was in the vets with the exact same problem this week. The main symptoms were very fishy smelling pee and licking at her vulva. She has a UTI and is on antibiotics for a week. She has also given herself a mild dermatitis (not the first time!) around her vulva from licking so much, but the antibiotics should clear this up too. She was in fine form, eating and drinking normally and no weird peeing so it was just the very smelly pee that had me worried. She's a bit miserable now from the antibiotics but hopefully will be back to herself in the next few days!

Hope Bailey is feeling better soon!

Yes the vet mentioned the dermatitis but luckily Bailey didn't have that. She is also feeling a bit dopey with the antibiotics. She has a two week course! Poor girl lol.

Hope Lady starts feeling like herself again soon :)

Hope Lady starts feeling like herself again soon :)

Thanks! I call her "my lady", but her name is Lily - she's my only girl (all the rest are boys!) so she's my lady :) She's currently a bit crappy feeling from the antibiotics, last dose was yesterday so she should perk up soon (has never been good with antibiotics :()

Hoe is your little one getting on?

Thanks! I call her "my lady", but her name is Lily - she's my only girl (all the rest are boys!) so she's my lady :) She's currently a bit crappy feeling from the antibiotics, last dose was yesterday so she should perk up soon (has never been good with antibiotics :()

Hoe is your little one getting on?

It's funny how we give them nick names lol. I call Bailey 'girlie' and call Dylan 'bud' :lol:

Yes she is doing a lot better. All her symptoms seem to have gone so she just needs to finish her course of antibiotics and she should be fine :)

Back