Thread: Ticklish Paws !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ticklish Paws !

Dougall has developed a knot between his pads. This is the first time this happened. How do you deal with this, when you touch is paws he pulls away as though they are ticklish, obviously I don't want this to become an issue with him. I have tried when he is sleeping, he simply tucks his paws away so I can't touch them
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

You may find it's a lump of mud rather than a knot - Oliver gets these from time to time. Soaking the paw in warm water and rubbing the knot gently under water helps - and Dougall might find this not so ticklish!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kate, will try this.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Dougall has developed a knot between his pads. This is the first time this happened. How do you deal with this, when you touch is paws he pulls away as though they are ticklish, obviously I don't want this to become an issue with him. I have tried when he is sleeping, he simply tucks his paws away so I can't touch them
    Unfortunately cavaliers do not queue up to have their feet examined.

I do think there are some things that healthy dogs just have to learn to submit to. Nails do have to be cut and hair trimmed from under their pads.

I turn my dogs upside down and insist they stay there while I do their feet ( they do get a treat with each paw completed )

SM dogs can really have problems with having their feet touched. I do one paw ( or even nail ) at a time.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I made feet handling a nice experience right from the start, with strokes, moving on to holding the foot for a second at first, always letting him pull away if he wanted, and working up to a foot massage. I also think you have to be strict, and "Wait" really does means wait!
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that this problem really does have to be tackled, otherwise you can end up with a dog biting at the mud lump and/or knot of hair so much that they damage their pads. I talk calmly to mine all the time I am handling their feet, tell them what good girls they are being (even if they are not) and give them a nice treat everytime I get a bit snippered out.

KateH's point about soaking feet after walks is a very good one, otherwise those gritty/muddy lumps can become like tar to get out and that can be very painful for the dog to walk on.

Good luck, Tania. I'm sure with all your wisdom and patience you will win through
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge