Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about PetPlan "Pre-Existing Condition"

Post Thanks / Like

Question Question about PetPlan "Pre-Existing Condition"

I'm thinking about signing Ginger up for PetPlan but worried about getting our claims denied that relate to her heart as it may be considered a "pre-existing condition".

She is 3 1/2 years old now, and at her 2 year heart check the cardiologist said that he could hear a slight heart murmur but there was no official diagnosis.

Now she is approaching 4 years of age I really want to take her into see a cardiologist to do some thorough testing on her and find out if she has developed a moderate or severe MVD. She has not exhibited any of the severe or moderate symptoms, but I have begun noticing that she breathes heavily while she is resting (still seldom). She weighs 18 pounds and is not overweight. I'd like to take her in as early as this week but want to sign up for the insurance beforehand.

So I have two questions for the forum:

- Will PetPlan deny coverage for her heart by calling it a pre-existing condition, even though she has never been officially diagnosed with MVD and none of her regular vet visits state on paper?

- I researched the forum thoroughly and it definitely seems like PetPlan is the best choice. I'm looking at the Bronze/$50 Deductible/0% plan which is about $60 a month. Is this the most appropriate plan for the possible condition that Ginger may have (MVD)? She does not have SM, has some dental issues but healthy otherwise. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much forum!!
    VERONICA
    Mom to our precious little girl "Gingerbread" born on 8/13/2006
    If there are no Cavaliers in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Post Thanks / Like

I have pet plan insurance - expensive but I think you get what you pay for.....
    Not sure where you stand with the heart issue - maybe ask at your vets receptionist to look at the records to see if anythings been noticed on there...
    Best of luck !!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Teresa

I checked and none of the vet records reference the heart murmur...
    VERONICA
    Mom to our precious little girl "Gingerbread" born on 8/13/2006
    If there are no Cavaliers in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When you sign up for Pet Plan, they will require you to have your vet fax all the vet records to them. (I have PetPlan)

As long as none of the paperwork they will fax states anything about a murmur, then I would think you should be fine. I can't say for sure of course, but if I were you, I would probably go ahead and get the policy as long as nothing in writing documents that conversation with the vet.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    When you sign up for Pet Plan, they will require you to have your vet fax all the vet records to them. (I have PetPlan)
    FWIW, I have signed up two Cavaliers with PetPlan in the past year, and they did not contact my vet either time for records. I presume that whenever I make my first claim they will ask for records.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Most UK insurers have a 2-week period after you take out their insurance in which anything diagnosed will count as a 'pre-existent condition'. If it's the same in the US, it would be worth waiting that long before you see a cardiologist.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

That's true - two weeks for illness but not accidents as far as I know.....

Also if you go too soon then they may suspect you already knew ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    FWIW, I have signed up two Cavaliers with PetPlan in the past year, and they did not contact my vet either time for records. I presume that whenever I make my first claim they will ask for records.

Pat
    Pat, that is right. I submitted a claim for Lucky's dental and they required me to get the vet to fax all his records before they would make a determination on the claim.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just a general warning to please be very careful in this situation - it could be classed as insurance fraud if you are aware of an existing condition, whether it is in your vets' records or not.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation - insurance should be taken out at the earliest possible opportunity so that this type of situation does not arise.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I just read what I put!! It makes me sounds like I'm a right dodgy character!!!!
    As your dog seems to have had a sketchy vague diagnosis I really wouldn't worry too much. Her heart is probably fine!!

I've insured both of mine with pet plan from eight weeks.....In Barney's case it's been worthwhile!! (2500 for lameness that went on its own in the end!!) I would rather have insurance than face huge bills....

Peace of mind is priceless!!

Best of luck with Ginger...x