• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do you think Dylan is overweight?

kimy27

Dylan is two and a half years old and in the past 5 months he has gone from 8.5 kilos to just over 10 kilos!

He gets 30 grams of James Wellbeloved dry food plus quarter of a pouch of the wet food twice a day.

The real reason he has put on weight is because my dad, who usually works away from home has been unemployed for 5 months and has been sneaking him food. I have asked him not to do this but as I am at work all day I can't controll what he is giving him during the day.

Here are some pictures of Dylan-

4614600853_674c26a3c9.jpg

4614604915_1e836dbc7b.jpg

4614602105_45ca2f50ee.jpg

Do you think I should be worried about his weight? I just want him to be healthy.

Far from an expert but it looks as though he has a waist in the two overhead pics so he can't be that overweight. The first pic is just a big fluffball!

My own Dylan was about the same and I cut down his food but then I do like him pretty slim. I know that's not much help sorry.

My Barney is a bigger sized Cav...At the moment he's 12.3 kilos around 12 he looks just right.

New studies have found dogs at the lighter end of normal range are living longer and healthier.

If in doubt ask your vet, don't go by the weight charts, if I did Barney would be a stick!!

Could you introduce Dylan to raw vegetables as treats - my Cavaliers love carrots and courgettes - and then leave your Dad a supply of these to give Dylan while you're away? That way he'd still be spoiling him with treats but not making him put on weight!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Dylan is two and a half years old and in the past 5 months he has gone from 8.5 kilos to just over 10 kilos!

He gets 30 grams of James Wellbeloved dry food plus quarter of a pouch of the wet food twice a day.

The real reason he has put on weight is because my dad, who usually works away from home has been unemployed for 5 months and has been sneaking him food. I have asked him not to do this but as I am at work all day I can't controll what he is giving him during the day.

He does look as if he still has a waist, but it is not healthy for him to add the weight at such a rate.

At 2.5 years he may need a little less food as he grows out of the very active young dog stage.

It is a good idea for all cavalier owners to stand back occasionally & reassess how much food their dog needs. It can alter from summer to winter, and as a dog grows older.

As for your Dad, I agree you need to leave healthier tidbits for him to spoil Dylan with. If vegetables are not acceptable ( to Dad or Dylan :) ) then pieces of unsalted rice cake look big and sound crunchy, but would be better than ordinary treats

Thanks everyone for your advice. I agree that he could be doing with losing a few pounds. He pants a lot which Bailey hardly every does so I think that is probably to do with the weight.

I will try cutting down his food and asking my dad (again) not to feed him treats (he gives Dylan anything he is eating :eek:)

He just loves his food so much. I don't want him to be hungry all the time.

Dylan say's "feed me, feed me , feed me" all day long. If I speak to him he runs to the kitchen hoping for a treat. You just have to say no :)

Mine are the same would eat all day if I let them:), I don't though!

Gus gained weight a while back but I cut his food back a little each meal and he lost it all.

Try cutting down on the pouches of meat not give them everyday. I feed JWB dry twice a day.I give less in the morning as they get a biscuit mid-day and I top up with veg in the evening for an extra treat, I feed the wet pouches very rarely as a big treat.

I also feed different amounts depending on how active each dog is.

It depends on the dog. Pippin can put weight on but it slowly creeps up, Dj is a skinny dog and I have to make sure to give him extra, while Gus only has to look at a few extra pieces to put on the pounds or kilos! Feeding them as above the last two years has kept them all at a steady weight.

I don't give mine treats from the table at all, I know it's hard telling another adult not to feed him, but maybe explaining the dangers of weight gain in cavaliers and telling your dad to ignore begging and give the odd healthy treat will encourage him to give up the feeding habit.

I hope this helps a little, I remember how worried I was when Gus gained a little weight.

Weight is one of those tricky situations when it comes to family.

I was suposed to be moving back to my parents last month so that my house sale could proceed quickly but I havent for one reason.... the special 'bond' my dad has with Ruby!!!
He is a nightmare with her and everything he eats he shares with her! As much as I tell him not to!! he doesnt listen, so I empathise with you!!!

The raw vegs is defiinatly something I would recommend, it has worked wonders for Ruby she was 11.7 kg at her heaviest and I was upsett with myself for letting her get that bad but I have managed to get her back to 10kg with cutting her kibble intake down and bulking it up with raw veg. I have been freezing them aswell for the heat! They both love them really!!!

Good luck

He is beautiful :)

I would say you probably need to reduce his food intake or look for a different kibble/food.

Don't they suggest that a cavalier should be between 5-8.2kgs? With my last Cavalier Sammy, he weighed around 11kgs and the vet put him on a diet. We reduced his kibble, added raw carrots and other veggies (I remember the carrots distinctly as he hated them....until he realised he wasn't getting anything else after his kibble...then he ate them) :p

My older boy, D'Artagnan was a finniky eater when we got him. We got him at 12 months from his breeder/Shower and she said he ate every 2-3 days... he now eats once daily. We changed his kibble, took him off raw mince and we now give him a raw chicken neck with his kibble a few times a week. If anything he has gained weight...and is now in the upper 6's (kgs) whereas when we got him, he was 6.3kg and looked a bit boney. He how looks healthy, his coat is thicker, shinier and he eats with gusto :)

I am not familar with the kibble you are feeding yours, but maybe you could cut down a little, bulk it with fresh veggies?

He is a gorgeous looking CKCS though :)

Back