• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

lindylou

lindylou

louie his nearly 2 yrs old and still weeing through the night and sometimes poos and he eats it.
can anybody help wity this problem

Two seems a bit old for that - can't think why it would be. Cassie is dry now most nights but sometimes I find evidence of poo but no actual poo......I'm hoping she grows out of that, fortunately she doesn't eat other dogs faeces.

Have you taken him to the vet? You'd first want to get an all-clear that this is not related to a medical problem.

If it isn't medical: then it is first and foremost, a housetraining problem as this indicates he isn't actually fully housetrained. I'd recommend starting *from scratch* -- taking the same approach you would with a puppy. No shortcuts! :)

You can get excellent housetraining advice and directions here:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/Housetraining_0.pdf

An adult, healthy dog should never need to eliminate during the night -- but to help remove any potential reasons to go, I'd switch to feeding in the morning, or if feeding twice daily, the second meal at 5pm or so but not much later so he digests and empties his bowels *before* bedtime. Give him at LEAST a 30 minute walk before bedtime so that he does a poop then and he will not need to go overnight. Give NO food, *no treats* in particular, after 5 or 6 pm. Do not give access to water after about 9pm.

So your approach needs to be:

1) medical: make sure this isn't the cause or no amount of management/training will help
2) management: most dog behaviour concerns are really just as much an issue of thoughtful owner management as they are of training -- and often, management alone eliminates the problem, which is much easier than training! You can set him up for nightly success by not feeding in evenings, giving him plenty of exercise nightly before bedtime, and managing where he sleeps so that he isn't going somewhere he shouldn't be (eg not on carpet or rugs). Crating a dog (crate train FIRST though!) generally removes nighttime accidents, for example.
3) training. At the moment you don't have a housetrained dog (assuming the problem isn't medical) so start from the very beginning as you would with a puppy or rescue adult dog and go from there, using the training sheet linked above.

That should solve your problem within days or a couple of weeks. :)

hi teresa
thank you for your reply i think the problem is dad who lives with me gives louie hand full of doggey biscuits anywhere between 7pm-9 pm i tell him not to give him them but he just says it will not harm him. when dad is not looking i pick them up. i don't think the problem will go away while dad is being to generous. also louie has dandruff

Two seems a bit old for that - can't think why it would be. Cassie is dry now most nights but sometimes I find evidence of poo but no actual poo......I'm hoping she grows out of that, fortunately she doesn't eat other dogs faeces.

Back