• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Removal of chewing gum on paws

jasperpaw

Has anyone got any idea how you can get chewing gum off a dogs paw? I noticed last night a big mass of black on Jasper`s front paw, it was chewing gum, I managed to cut off some of it around his paw with a small pair of scissors, but can`t really get any closer and I am worried I will nip his skin.

Vegetable oil {eg sunflower, peanut, any of the light oils} - also removes sap, tar, paint and other sticky things from your dog's coat.

Using a a small dish or a cotton ball, thoroughly soak the area with the oil. Work the oil into the sticky or hard place with your fingers. Blot off the excess oil with a paper towel, and wash the area with dog shampoo. Repeat this procedure if there is anything left in the fur.

Don't let your dog walk around the house until you shampoo the area, otherwise you will be cleaning up oily smears and foot prints from everywhere you don't want them.

Clever tip nicki!! I've had to cut out a boiled sweet from Barneys hair today!! What a mess it was too!!

You can also use an ice cube to freeze the gum and make it brittle and then is easy to get off.

I think that only works on clothes Judy, might freeze your little dogs foot before the gum hardened ;)

A lot of people say peanut butter will work.

Vodka will remove adhesives, and I wonder if it works on chewing gum.

A lot of people say peanut butter will work..

I was always told peanut butter too. I think that is what all the moms did when I was growing up if girls got gum in their hair. I've never tried it though, but that and ice would be what I'd try if I had to.

Granny always swore by ordinary butter for tar and chewing gum, and it works, so that's what I 'stick' with! ;)

Thank you Nicky for the advice, I used baby oil as I had this in the house and it worked brilliantly, so all back to normal now.:)

That's good to hear - I think most oils would work, but imagine that peanut butter is incredibly messy, especially as most dogs would try to eat it too :eek:

Back