• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Results so far: 14 dogs scanned, several without syrinxes

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I've had an email update from the researchers using Rupert's Fund to scan older cavaliers for the syringomyelia genome research: 14 dogs have now been scanned with some significant results for the research.

Some dogs have cost more to scan than the reduced rate -- as for the convenience of owners, they have been scanned at other centres. So: we have worked through existing funds now with 14 dogs scanned, and will return to working to raise more funds for dogs that researchers have identified as valuable to research, which are now on the waiting list for a scan. :)

This is the note Dr Clare Rusbridge has asked to be posted:

There have now been 14 dogs scanned aged between 6.3yrs and 12.2yrs.

Results
9 were grade 'A', 5 of which had no central canal dilation.
5 dogs had SM

The average cost is working out at £200 per dog. So with the others on the "pending list" we have used up the current available funds but the good news is that the CKCS Club have also donated £2000 to the Genome research - and so the good work continues

A massive thank you to all the owners and breeders that put in the considerable effort to bring their dogs to the scanning centre. It is gratefully acknowledged.

Clare

This is really exciting -- 5 of the 9 'A' grade dogs have no SM. This is an absolutely fantastic result as these are very meaningful findings in these older dogs, far more significant for research than scans of SM-free younger dogs, and is a significant help in further zeroing in on the genes responsible for CM/SM and understanding how they work.

Once again: your support is making this research work possible. Your donations, of any size, small or large, helps keep this work going at this critical final stage of the genome project. Rupert's Fund donors have raised over £3,600 -- that's over $5,200 -- in just a few short months. We have built to this amount from donations as small as a few pounds to as large as £300 -- each and every one makes a difference.

There is more information on Rupert's Fund and full details on how to donate and how to contact researchers if you think your dog might be a good scan candidate, at

www.rupertsfund.com

This is excellent news Karlin!
It's very kind of Clare to give such great feedback on the results.
Hopefully in the light of so many good scans emerging,it'll encourage others to put their cavaliers forward for scanning.
This is too good a project not to continue ..
I think we need to do some more fundraisingicon_nwunsure
Sins

Hi Karlin, that's fab news!! I was wondering when we'd get an update - to have nine scan clear is wonderful!! I'm a bit sad Barney wasn't one of them...

Barney wasn't able to go to Wimbledon to be scanned as there was no transport for the date available and I have a stupid fear of motorways :(( I'm sorry it cost more because of this...I thought they offered a reduced rate at Bath but I don't know the actual cost.

May the fund raising continue!!!!! When I have time I'll be getting my thinking cap on for ideas I think :)

Thank you for posting this update, Karlin. It's always good to hear what has been happening, especially when the news is this encouraging. (y)

Thinking caps on all round for more fundraising then. I keep wondering if CT ought to consider running mini auctions (where individuals offer goods which they post to the winners direct). These seem to make quite a lot of doggie dosh on other forums I belong to. :lpy:

Picking up Marie-Anne's auction idea, Sylvia Lymer brought three pictures to our Fun Day, donated by Janet Smith. They seemed too good to just put into our raffle, so I have permission to sell them in any way as long as the proceeds go to Cavalier health research. Two are small paintings/prints of Cavaliers, the third is a bigger and delightful Louis Wain type print of a doggy school. I don't know anything about them (could contact Janet for more info), but could photograph them and run some kind of auction on CT (and also on CC?) if people are interested? I'll need to be told how to organise it!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

to have nine scan clear is wonderful!!

Just to clarify -- five actually scanned clear, and nine (including those five) scanned as As. :)

Don't worry, Bath does do a reduced rate, but getting the dogs in for a full scanning day at Stone Lion is one of the cheapest options for Rupert's Fund. The slightly lower cost available at Stone Lion is because the analysis doesn't cost extra for the neurologist as the neurologist is on staff, and they can pool dogs for the lowest cost scanning -- it is the same rate offered to clubs or breeders who organise 10 or more dogs.

The scanning would be tilted towards better scans as the dog coming in are those believed to be asymptomatic, that show no symptoms on a clinical exam, and often, which have a pedigree that might indicate a better chance of a clear dog. It's very promising that researchers seem to be making some reasonable and informed guesses about dogs that should scan well; on the other hand it is also a sign of how worrying and widespread this condition is when a third of the dogs have scanned with SM when they are older dogs, no symptoms, believed to possibly be clear... that's why the research is so important.

Kate, that sounds like a great idea -- I'd love to see what the prints look like!

Offhand Karlin,do you know if any of the five were free of malformation?
Sins

This is just fantastic news Karlin - even with the skew with asymptomatic dogs, from hopeful lines b*n*n*b*n*n*b*n*n*

I think many people were of the opinion that most dogs do develop syrinxes eventually - it's just wonderful to hear that there are A dogs around at an older age. I hope some are dogs rather than bitches and can be incorporated into breeding programs...

Kate that would be wonderful if we could auction the pictures - perhaps we could appeal for items...and maybe have a big auction - as Marie-Anne says, this is a very popular and effective way to raise money. I'm sure if we all have a look around we have items that we might be prepared to donate - also may have contacts with friends and businesses who might donate items.

Ah I see Karlin, It's nice to see some are scanning at A grade though, I'm new to all this and sometimes get a bit muddled. (I needed help understanding Barneys results.)

Results So far :14 Dogs Scanned ,Several without Syrinxes

Just to clarify -- five actually scanned clear, and nine (including those five) scanned as As. :)

Don't worry, Bath does do a reduced rate, but getting the dogs in for a full scanning day at Stone Lion is one of the cheapest options for Rupert's Fund. The slightly lower cost available at Stone Lion is because the analysis doesn't cost extra for the neurologist as the neurologist is on staff, and they can pool dogs for the lowest cost scanning -- it is the same rate offered to clubs or breeders who organise 10 or more dogs.

The scanning would be tilted towards better scans as the dog coming in are those believed to be asymptomatic, that show no symptoms on a clinical exam, and often, which have a pedigree that might indicate a better chance of a clear dog. It's very promising that researchers seem to be making some reasonable and informed guesses about dogs that should scan well; on the other hand it is also a sign of how worrying and widespread this condition is when a third of the dogs have scanned with SM when they are older dogs, no symptoms, believed to possibly be clear... that's why the research is so important.

Kate, that sounds like a great idea -- I'd love to see what the prints look like!

14 DOGS SCANNED ,SEVERAL WITHOUT SYRINXES

I am not very good at Maths, !!!!,but here goes,

There have been approx, 10,000 Cavaliers Registered Yearly for many years by the Kennel Club, on average the Cavaliers ' Life- Span is 10 years, so probably it can be assumed that there are around 100,000 alive to-day upto 10 years of age

This could mean that there is the possibilty of 30,000 Cavaliers suffering from SM.

This is a Frightening Thought.

Bet

Back