Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Daisy in hospital tonight

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you and Daisy.Keep us posted

x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad she is sounding better! I think it is always OK to let them eat grass -- for them it is kind of like taking pepto bismol. It does sound like gastroenteritis to me - I;m sure the vet didn't mean 'if she makes it through the night' -- you poor thing, I can imagine that must have added to your concerns!

Dogs could feel ill from so many things they might eat I wouldn't worry about a bit of raw beef.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default lindylou

my louie often eats grass 2-3 times a week then brings up white bile he's of his food for a few hours then back on his food. i always think they have an upset tummy when they eat grass. i mentioned it to my vet and he said it is all right for them to eat grass.

Post Thanks / Like

Barney sometimes eats grass for no apparent reason. When he gets an upset tummy he eats loads of it!! He also has a taste for Guinea pig poo (Cassie too!!) The vet says this is fine though.

Barney has had severe gastroenteritis he eats it when this happens, must be an instinct.

I hope your Daisy feels better soon...x

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that by now Daisy is sitting beside you at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone! Well, Daisy is home with us tonight, but she's not 100% by any means. She wouldn't eat for the vet and they didn't call me to tell me (aargh), even though I told them I would bring Daisy's food if I needed to. The vet said she would call me if that was the case, but she didn't. So I ended up calling them this afternoon to see what was going on. When they told me, I ran home and then to the clinic with a bunch of her food and assorted favorite treats. She did like the treats, but she didn't want much to do with her food, even with her beloved liver powder sprinkled on top. But she ate enough that they said I could bring her home and watch her. They are going to call me tomorrow to check on her. They said if she vomits, has diarrhea, or if she refuses to eat to bring her back in right away. She has an anti-nausea medicine, an antibiotic, and one other pill to take (can't remember what that one was off the top of my head.)

She had a tiny squirt of unbelievably smelly loose poop (sorry for the grossness) after we got home, and she is very tired and kind of mopey, but she has not vomited. I will be staying home with her tomorrow. She did eat a tiny bit after we got home, and drank a bunch of water. When she went out in the yard when we got home, she started eating grass again.

She went through a similar thing when she was a year old and one of the vets we ended up seeing during that episode said not to let her eat grass because it is very hard on her intestines, right when they were already inflamed with the gastroenteritis. During that episode, she completely quit eating for days and the vet gave me a food syringe thing and said that eventually, we were going to have to force feed her or she would die. I eventually got her eating that time by using the Satin Balls recipe I found on here. (Ironically, that recipe has raw hamburger in it!)

It's hard to know what to do on the grass thing. It seems like it's a vicious circle with her. Being sick at her tummy apparently makes her rabid for grass, and then the grass makes her that much sicker. It's very frustrating. I'm going to try to stop her as much as possible. I konw that dogs eating grass occasionally is normal, but not to the extent she has done this week.

Anyway, I'm very happy to have her home and I hope tomorrow will be a better day for her all around.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you have her home, hopefully over the next couple of days she will start to pick up and improve, we'l be keeping you in our thoughts, keep us posted on how she's doing
    Ryan, Lisa, and Kieran.....our 2 Blenhiem girls Lucy and Megan, Jake the Lab, and the old man of the house...Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

just read through all this what a stressful time for you,pleased to hear she's home with you and seems abit better.Sending hugs to you both x

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear that Daisy is poorly, hope she is feeling better soon.
    Sue

Darcy - Blenheim - 17th Sept 2005
    'Life is a balance of holding on and letting go'

Post Thanks / Like

Tis good news she is home. The meds and plenty of rest (and patience!) will get her back on the right track, paws crossed.