• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisy in hospital tonight

Daisy's Mom

:( This morning around 2 a.m., Daisy ran to the backdoor and cried out wanting out very badly. This is very unusual as she is not at all a vocal dog. I assumed she had to go to the bathroom, so I let her outside. After a little while, I walked out on the porch to check on her and she was eating grass like a little cow! Frenetically pulling mouthful after mouthful out of the ground and eating it! It was seriously like an addict getting a hit of drugs. I knew that was going to make her sick so I ran out to pick her up and she ran away from me, plucking off pieces of grass as she went. I carried her inside to put her in her crate since I knew she would be throwing up. I had just walked in the door and she threw up 2 huge gobs of foam and grass. I put her back outside and she immediately ran to the grass and started eating again!

We did this little routine over and over. She was very unhappy in her crate and at times when I would let her out, she would even run to the window looking out longingly at the grass! Very, very weird. I was up all night with her. Around 5:30 am, I put her in her crate and took a shower. She threw up a little bit in her crate, but not much. Once the kids came downstairs, she was acting more like her normal self for a while. But then it all started again. I got her an appt. with the vet at 10 am. He is/was worried about pancreatitis. He did bloodwork, an x-ray, gave her some subcutaneous fluids and an anti-nausea injection and kept her for the rest of the day.

I called the vet in the afternoon and bloodwork was normal and she had quit vomiting, but was lethargic. He said it is still possible that it is pancreatitis but that we may have caught it so early that it's not yet showing up in the bloodwork. He also did an x-ray and said her intestinal walls were "thickened" but no sign of an obstruction. He interpreted that as being inflammation and tentatively diagnosed her with gastroenteritis. He is keeping her overnight to make sure she doesn't have any trouble and he's going to try to feed her in the morning (no food today at all). If she keeps it down, she gets to come home tomorrow. He said she doesn't act like she has any energy but seems relatively comfortable. She has not had a bowel movement.

The only things that were even slightly unusual yesterday are that 1) I gave her a tripe treat in the morning. She has had these before, but I just opened a new bag, and 2) last night, I gave her about a teaspoon (or less) of raw ground beef. I often do this and it has never caused her the least bit of trouble before. I told the vet all this. He didn't really say anything, but I felt so guilty about the ground beef that I interpreted his silence as meaning "Why in the world did you give her that?!"

And then, in the "poor me" category: my husband is out of town, my work is crazy, and I simply cannot clean up vomit without vomiting myself. Very, very bad night!

Please keep Daisy in your prayers!

Oh, poor Daisy and poor you.

We've been through this before with our old Lhasa girl who passed away last year. I know how scary it is and how helpless it feels.

I hope the vet has good news for you in the morning and that Daisy's perking up. Hopefully it was just some bad beef and she'll get over it and be just fine. :xfngr:

Hugs to you! :hug:

I hope you are able to get some sleep tonight. At least you know Daisy will be watched over and if anything is going on it will be caught immediately. Thinking about you and sending lots of prayers and hugs for Daisy and you.

Thank you both! I don't know if I will sleep tonight or not. I am exhausted, but I am also torn up about her being there away from me, and just about not knowing in real time what is going on with her. It is very hard and I hope, as you said, that someone is there with her all the time watching out for her if she has trouble. The vet actually lives right above the clinic.

I love that little dog so much! Hopefully, I will have a positive update tomorrow.

Poor Daisy hope she is better soon! Hope you got some sleep too, you I can empathise with you in relation to vomit, poo I can clean no problem but vomit....ugh!

Take a deep breath & exhale all your stresses, we don't want you ending up sick too :) also if you've given her treats & raw mince before without any problems, why should yesterday have been any different? Don't blame yourself. Sending you & Daisy some well needed hugs :hug:

Wishing Daisy a speedy recovery and I hope you will be able to get some sleep.
It’s horrible when they are not with you but she is at the best place she could be where they can keep an eye on her.
Sending you both lots of :hug:

Hi

Poor Daisy and Poor You ,I do hope she gets better soon and theres now long term problem for her, so my Daisy sends big hugs to her cousin Daisy and asks that you keep us all posted when you can .:(

Try not to be so tough on yourself,our first instinct is to blame ourselves when our dogs become ill,but it may just have been viral too! So wait for the diagnosis:).Sometimes things happen that we have no control over.
I hope you have your girl back home this evening,restored to full health.
Sins

Lots of healing thoughts coming your way from me and my gang. Do hope poor Daisy will soon be feeling a lot better and can come home again very soon. It's always a nightmare when they have to be away from us, but you did absolutely the right thing.

Good lucky little Daisy
GetWellSoonCavvie.jpg

So sorry to hear this - sometimes they can get a viral pancreatitis which starts like this - my Kyla had this once, but it never recurred.

I hope that Daisy is feeling much better - you were very sensible to get her to the vets so promptly.

Hopefully it is just gastroenteritis - and don't worry, it probably is not even connected with what you had given her, just one of those things.

Keep us posted - we are all thinking of you and Daisy.

Poor little Daisy, my two often graze on grass and are not sick but they do seem to know when they need to eat it. I hope she is feeling better now.

I hope by now you have had good news about Daisy. Our Molly eats just about everything--even those little covers for earphones.

Poor Daisy! Sending positive healing vibes for a speedy recovery and that she is back home soon.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments and well wishes! It really helps to read your comments.

I called this morning at 8:00 and the vet wasn't there yet, but the tech said Daisy was perky this morning when they took her out to potty. Still no bowel movement. I don't know if he will consider that a problem or not. She said that the vet will determine whether to give her breakfast or not, but based on Daisy's condition this morning, he probably will. She said the usual routine is to feed them and then keep them till late afternoon to make sure they are going to keep it down. So if I do get her home today, it won't be till about 3:30 pm or so.

I hope they give her a kind of food that she will like. She is kind of picky about these things, although if she is hungry enough, I'm sure she will eat anything they put in front of her. Hopefully that is the case because that would make me feel better about her if she was hungry. The vet is supposed to call me this morning to tell me if she ate, and what the plan is.

I did sleep last night, but kept waking in fits and starts wondering if Daisy Dog was doing OK. When I talked to the vet yesterday evening, he kind of scared me. I wasn't sure (and am still not sure) whether he said "We'll see if she gets through the night..." or "We'll see if she's good through the night..." I was too scared to ask him which he said because if it was the former, I knew I would be a basket case all night. I tried to convince myself that he said "good through the night."

I'll update again when I hear from him. Thanks again for those hugs and well wishes!

Glad to hear Daisy seems a bit better today - I hope she comes home tonight to you.:hug:

I give my 3 raw beef mince - which I think is the same as your ground beef - all the time with no problems so hopefully it wasnt that.

I am very grateful to those people who said that they give their dogs hamburger meat (mince) sometimes, or that commented that it was unlikely to be the cause of Daisy's illness. That makes me feel better! I just give her a little bit occasionally when I am making spaghetti sauce or something else where I use it for our dinner. I always read about raw diets and how great dogs do on them (on this forum, other internet sites, and in the Whole Dog Journal), so I thought I was doing a good thing. But I was almost afraid to admit it because I was afraid people (and the vet) might jump all over me for doing so. We all ate the hamburger meat in the spaghetti and meatballs for dinner that night and none of us humans got sick. Obviously it was cooked, though. Also, in my defense, it was very high end organically raised beef! :) People in the U.S. (and maybe everywhere) are so hyper-concerned about the safety of all meat that I thought I might be seen as a crazy person for giving my beloved dog any raw meat whatsoever. My sister in law uses like 3 different spatulas when they grill hamburgers because once the spatula touches a burger, it has to be sterilized and a new one is fetched! It's a wonder how we all survived growing up because our parents didn't take such extreme measures.

I will talk to the vet about it and if he thinks it's a bad idea I will definitely never give it to her again, believe me.

Anyway, the vet called and verified that they were going to feed Daisy this morning because she seemed better. I told them to call me if she wouldn't eat and I would run home and get some of her food. The vet said they would do that. They didn't call back, so I assume that Daisy ate what they gave her. So I take that as a very good sign.

My sister in law uses like 3 different spatulas when they grill hamburgers because once the spatula touches a burger, it has to be sterilized and a new one is fetched! It's a wonder how we all survived growing up because our parents didn't take such extreme measures.

I really doubt it was the hamburger meat! There are people who make their own raw food for their dog and give it to them daily. And you're so right about how did we survive growing up!! My mom used the same wood cutting board for the meat as the veggies & bread. She used that thing for years and years. And she used to mix up the hamburgers with egg, bread crumbs and onions & I'll tell you a secret, I remember eating little pieces of the hamburger mix just like cookie dough :eek: Gross to me now in retrospect, but we all survived. :)

I'm so glad she seems to be doing better today!! I hope she gets to come home soon. :xfngr:

Back