27th May 2010, 10:50 PM
Spaying and Neutering pros and cons
I was reading through a couple of previous threads about the topic of when to spay or neuter your dog. I definitely plan on speutering my Cavalier.
One breeder I feel pretty good about however wants the dog fixed at 6 months old, stating that females will have a 99% chance of never developing mammary cancer, and that waiting until the growth plates close is an old wives tale.
I was really hoping to wait to spay or neuter until my dog was at least 10 - 12 months old, and I believe if I wait longer then my contract may be voided. I am not sure however because I have not asked this breeder's opinion on what would happen should I decide to wait longer. I don't want this to be the reason she decides to not sell me one of her pups.
27th May 2010, 10:53 PM
that seems very young....As far as my vet has said the best time is after the first season and before the second...
28th May 2010, 12:36 AM
28th May 2010, 10:04 AM
If you have a pre existing contract with the breeder you purchased the pup from,and this is what they require in the contract,then it's best to honour the contract and have the procedure done.
I know it's never an easy thing to do and we want to do what's right for our pets.
I think in future when buying a puppy,ask in advance what the terms of any contract will be and if you feel there's something unpalatable in there or something you cannot deliver on,the maybe try another breeder or ask for a clause to be changed in advance.
I think you also need to take into account that a different breeder may ask the current one for a reference if you want a pup from them,so it may be better to meet the conditions that they've set down.
Hope this helps,
28th May 2010, 07:27 PM