Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Strollers

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dog Strollers

I used to think it was the most ridiculous thing to see people using dog strollers. Dogs need to walk and need exercise! But today we went to a really big dog festival and I started to realize they were not such a horrible idea for events like this (not for everyday use in my opinion). There were thousands of people at this outdoor event and it was HOT out. There was a ton of walking involved, lots of vendors selling things, etc. My dog is really petite, so with there being so many people I had to be careful she didn't get stepped on. Also with it being so warm, the pavement was really warm and my girl started getting rather tired so I ended up carrying her for part of the time. She's only 10lbs but that gets heavy after awhile! And trying to carry her, my handbag, shopping bags and a cold drink was next to impossible. It would have been much easier just to throw my items in the basket at the bottom of the dog stroller and let her sit in it and take a nap or just relax. I brought a spray bottle to keep her cool, plenty of water, and there were little man made streams and pools for the dogs to play in around the area which was really nice. There were also lots of air conditioned stores we were able to go into to cool off. But I'm sure we both would have loved the luxury of a stroller! Anyone here use them?
    Last edited by Erin2854; 30th May 2010 at 03:04 AM.
    Erin aka Mommy to Polly (Blenheim) 3-30-2009 And Cat children, Salem, Emma & Ellie
    The love of my life
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
    Tobey- I miss you terribly my sweet boy. We will be together again

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one when my Mindy got to the point she couldn't go on walks with us anymore and she didn't want to stay home. Sadly I didn't get a chance to use it much with her but Max has been put on very limited activity for the moment so I had him out in it the other day.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I use a stroller for Leopold. He has a bad back & can't walk as far as Remus & Loki can. We start out with everybody walking. I can tell when it starts bothering Leo. He goes in the stroller & we can continue to walk.
    Teri, Remus, Loki, Leopold
    3 cats - Rumor, Serenity, & Thor

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have a couple, both originally bought for our elderly dog Julie because of her heart murmur and when she was dying of cancer. We like to take walks along the river on a paved path and this way she could still get out and enjoy the breeze off the water.

We haven't used them since she died, but we've also used them for big dog events like you went to. They are great for that. For both the dogs comfort and also so you can stash your stuff underneath and not have to carry it.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

I have one that I use for Chaos, because of her SM she can't always do the whole walk like my other dogs. We use it every day and she loves riding in it. Was also useful last week because Impie by Chi X has hurt his back and also had a ride in it when, luckily, Chaos was walking. Normally he jumps straight out of it but must have been feeling bad because he stayed put. I am now on my second one because the first one broke when I took it to a County Fair and the ground was very muddy and full of potholes. I had bought it from Pet Planet and when I phoned them they very kindly sent me another free of charge. Great service and I highly recommend them.
    Judy

Chaos B/T Cavalier girl (1.1.2004) Armani Chinese Crested girl (16.12.2002) Onyx Chinese Crested Boy (1.8.2009)

Post Thanks / Like

Lacey loves her dog stroller. Ours looks like a dog crate on wheels. The crate comes off the stroller and that is where Lacey rides in the back of my SUV. She thinks it is her home away from home.

When we go to dog events it is so easy just to roll the stroller into the crating area. Most people have to walk their dog and carry a big clumsy crate. Not us! I can even stack Lacey in the crate part on top of another crate and then fold the stroller part and put it somewhere else.

It's great for sleeping in at a hotel, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin2854 View Post
    I used to think it was the most ridiculous thing to see people using dog strollers.
    This is how I used to feel!

Then, Molly could not walk very far. We got a childs buggy and converted it. It is ideal because she can pop on and off as she pleases. It means we can now go on better walks. Dougall of course takes advantage of this transportation and Dotty thinks our carrying ons all very strange

Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Thats brilliant Tania, I have a similar child's buggy as well as the dog stroller. I have not converted it but it is a from birth one and so the seat can lay quite flat. Got it from ebay for the bargain price of 1.70 and also has a rain cover and the inflatable tyres. Don't use that one very often though as its rather heavy and bulky to take in the car.
    Judy

Chaos B/T Cavalier girl (1.1.2004) Armani Chinese Crested girl (16.12.2002) Onyx Chinese Crested Boy (1.8.2009)

Post Thanks / Like

I love my stroller!!! And I love that I'm seeing more of them at events like dog festivals. I use mine when I'm going on long walks and know the dogs will need a break. Between Shelby's SM, bad knee, heart murmur and herniated disk I definitely don't want to overdo things for her. She loves sitting in her stroller and surveying all of those poor souls who have to actually walk to get from point A to point B When I first got mine, I got a lot of flack for it. I was told my dogs needed to exercise. Well, they do, but then they get a ride in the stroller to take a break. I especially like using mine when I'm going somewhere where there will be a lot of dogs. Gives me a safe place to put them and take a break.

Cute picture Tanie!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

What a good idea to convert a childs buggy, I am looking to get a doggie stroller, unfortunately , its time, but seeing your two cavvies looking very happy in it,and reading the other replys has given me hope that she will enjoy it. Can i ask if was it difficult to do, to convert the buggy, its proving very difficult to source one here!
    Amanda
    Owned by doglets Elliot the Opportunist and Duchess Millie Mischief

"We never really own a dog as much as he owns us" -Gene Hill-