• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Baxter eats everything!

sarahso

Im having problems with baxter eating anything he can get his mouth around on walks!

He will not leave or drop once he has his prize and im concerned that he is going to eat something that will harm him!

we have done all the usual training techniques, ie. holding food asking him to leave, walking him past food when on a lead and thats on the floor & rewarding, this has all worked with the others, but with baxter he seems to think its a prize possession!
in the house he will do it, in training, but when it comes to the real thing and he is needed to leave he doesnt!

i dropped a glass the other day told them all to leave... i only just grabbed him by the collar before he went to grab it!

he is being kept on a lead as i dont want to risk him getting anything that could cause harm, any sugestions?

We definitely had this problem with Oz and I think he just finally grew out of it and will accept a treat now even for a dead mouse in his mouth. I truly think he just matured. He will be three on July 1 - so older than Baxter I think. Now he will drop anything that I ask him to - the first time I ask him to. I was at my wits end with him thinking he would never learn "Drop it". The only thing I did was keep after him and offer treats in exchange for whatever he had in his mouth. Took some time, but he finally got it. Hopefully Baxter will mature earlier than Oz.

He is nearly 10 months, and an absolute adorable horror!

im worried he is going to hurt himself he seems to have no fear, from diving into canals to eating allsorts! I take tasty treats with me, and he will sit wait come back etc but if he has something he shouldnt there is no stopping him!

He is still young and you can continue teaching the leave it. Another command to try, might be drop it. You just have to be sure when you say it that they are not on a tile floor with a glass Christmas bulb like our lab was when the light finally came on for her. Up to that point, she wasn't getting drop it. After that, I had to make sure I said it when she was on a carpeted area.:)

Back