• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bum Sniffing...

Desrae

I know, apologies, the title is a bit strange... but I've been wondering about this for a long time. Our cavalier Belle, who is two, has trouble accepting other doggies to sniff her bum. She doesn't even like our other cavalier Bob, who is going on 10 months old, to sniff her, she will sometimes let out a little growl at him (but only at him, not other dogs). When we meet other dogs, Belle happily sniffs their bums but runs for cover or sits down when they try to sniff hers. Bob is more than happy to accommodate the sniffing of his rear, he'll even lift a leg for a better whiff. icon_whistling
I am baffled by this behaviour, is Belle just being secretive and Bob is open with himself? Do any of you have similar experiences or how does your cavalier usually react to bum sniffing? Because, we all know this is how they get to know each other, it is the "How do you do?" of the dog world.

Hi Desrae

Cant help about bum sniffing ,but last night there happened to be four Cav bums on the bed near me and one of let off an almighty pong but couldn't I. D. which one was the culprit as they all snored on .:confused:

Hi

We don't do bum or winky sniffing here. Molly is always very indignant and doesn't want hers sniffed and Dougall is just very shy and worries if other dogs even think about it. I know it is supposed to be a natural activity, apparently its like reading a book to them :eek:
They are not interested in having a sniff so I don't encourage it, I always try if possible to keep them away from other dogs. :D

Brian....You have four very lovely ladies, are you sure you they were guilty of this smelly offence :rolleyes:

Hello T

Actually Tania come to think of it ,Dawn had just left the room ,I wonder .;)
C U tomorrow girl .:)

Ps What do you mean by winky ?

Interesting.Scarlett will sniff other dogs and if they don't move too suddenly for her, she will try to sniff their bums.Yet she will sit down or walk backwards if they come forward for a sniff.

As Tania said, I won't force her.She's quite nervy and will watch them tentatively and stay sat.If they move, she's off behind me though I don't really allow her to hide behind me either.

Poor Belle, sounds as though Scarlett and Belle are two peas in a pod with this one ;)

x

My Phoebe was the same. She didn't like another dog to be behind her for any reason. She would happily stand nose to nose with another dog (as long as it wasn't a terrier - she really didn't like terriers) but she would usually back up and stand with her bum up against my legs if the other dog even looked like it was going to sniff her bum.

It must be a cavalier thing then... must be in the breeding... they're too good to be going around sniffing each other's bums!:lol:

Thanks for the comments... most enjoyable.:rotfl:

lol my rubys the same :lol: really doesnt like it if a dog tries but is ok with nose to nose now . she is wary of other dogs and plonks herself on my feet if they go to try and sniff her bum !

My Shelby is like that!! She gets very indignant when another dog tries to sniff her behind. She'll flip around, stick out her chest and give a growl. Except for Jake, she lets him say "hello" to her :lol: But the biggest accomplishment is that she now lets Micah say hi :D

Hi

Are you sure they don't ,don't forget theres been a lot of line breeding or is it in breeding for many centuries .:)

Back