• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

soft Bowel movements and bleeding

luvhavinbgtwins

I havent been on here in a long time Rex is 1 1/2 now, sat night he broke free of his crate and was covered w/ poop his crate all over the house he went in every room, he has never even went #2 in the house ever, he was potty trained real early and fast. HE didnt go pee any where in the house at all, but the next morning he went outside to go and he had blood come out and dripping for a few min. I just watched him cuz it stopped and us humans get it when we have issues also so I wanted to wait. It hasnt happened agian but he broke free of his crate this morning again but he coudnt get out of the laundry room but was scraping at the door cuz he went agian in the room. He has never had an accident it was lose not ever ever we havent changed anything we have given him and other than that he has not thrown up or acted any different at all. He didnt bleed at all today at all. What do you think, has anyone been thru this??

Thanks

I'd think he definitely needs to go straight to the vets (same as if your chidren started passing blood from the rectum -- it needs professional care to make sure it is not something very serious (y)). If dogs start to have accidents when normally they never do, this is almost always a sign of illness. Bleeding gastroenteritis is common, but in some dogs can become fatal very quickly -- and it sounds like this may be what he has. Gastro problems like this can also be a sign of pancreatitis, which also can be fatal if the dog gets a severe session. Or other gastro infections caused by microorganisms. It is definitely something gastrointestinal which needs care right away.

In general if you see blood at either end of your dog -- mouth or behind -- ring your vet immediately for advice, which will almost always be to get the dog in immediately. (y)

Please let us know what the vet says as soon as you get him home again :flwr:. Hopefully he will probably just need an injection to settle his stomach and an antibiotic and perhaps some special food for a bit and something like Prokolin to soothe his stomach. Don't feed him anything at all but make sure he has plenty of water and do get him to a vet immediately as he's had this for 2-3 days now and could easily become an emergency case if it is haemorrhagic gastroenteritis. The other thing that would come to mind is if something sharp is in his gut or rectum which also could quickly become a costly emergency -- either way I would call your vet right away, explain what you have been seeing, and most likely they will want him in right away.

lindylou

louie has had this problem it always happened on a tuesday morning when out for our morning walk. he had a perfect bowel movement then a little runny at the end with a very small amount of bloody mucas in it always happened on a tuesday. so i said if the same happends tomorrow we will go to the vets but the next day perfect bowel movement. it only happened every few weeks. so then i thought it must be somthing he is eating on a sunday chicken (no bones) and yorkshire pudding so i used to covery the yorkshire pudding in gravey to make it soft and it has never happened for 2 months now. louie also used to run of with my clothes pegs and chew them but now when i'm hanging my clothes out i make sure he gose nowhere near my clothes pegs mabe that was the problem part of the clothes peg in is tummy.

hope rex has nothing seriously wrong with him

Thank you, I have been watching him cuz he is acting fine still and eating just fine, I didnt really worry about the bleeding cuz my daughter and I have it all the time...we both have issues :confused:
Anyway I am looking for a vet today to see what I should do, I dont have a reg vet right now my old one isnt there anymore.
Still no blood but he is fine during the day stool is still soft, runs around fine.
Then yester. morning he broke out of his crate again and the at 2:30 this morning w/poop on him and on the floor how he is getting out of the crate I have no clue. its like a crate taxi where its 2 pc's that snaps together well some how he is using all his might and shaken it apart. he got out the back and he is such a little guys but he is going crazy in it...well I wouldnt want to be in there w/ steaky poo also....

Oh dear oh dear. That sounds scary! I'd say he had some bad infection. Even if he is recovering, take him to the vets to get medicine please, it will very easily reoccur, they go downhill so fast!

I would take him to the vets. Both my Dogs have had blood in their poop and/or have passed blood. With D'Artagnan it was once and with Porthos my puppy, it has been off and on.

Both were treated with Scourban and a shot of Prednislone(?). The vet explained that they had upset stomachs and that they'd continued to try and pass a motion even though there was nothing in there, hence their bowels passed some blood and mucous. D'Artagnan has never had it again but Porthos gets is from time to time. He's had all sorts of tests etc and we're now trialling diet - he is on Royal Canin intestinal and he is 90% better than where he was. We have to be careful with treats and he does not tolerate chicken (cooked or raw).

I would get yours vet checked at least to be on the safe side!

Check for GIARDIA. One of mine had this and we were in and out of the vets with soft poo, etc. for months until it was all figured out.

Definitely go to the Vet. Went through this with Loki. Finally got it all sorted with medicine, diet change & supplements.

yeah Giardia can be an issue.... Porthos was treated for Giardia but didn't have it. We're now on Intestinal food and the vet said if that didn't clear things up, we'd try hypoallergenic and if that didn't work, high fibre. Intestinal seems to be working and his poops have improved greatly.

Back