• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chewing gum....

The Boss

Is it particulary bad for a cav? i ask this because Fugde goes utterly bananas for it...i've never intentionally gave her any but a few times she's went all ninja and stealthy on me and crept, climbed and jumped her way into securing some, wolfing down a packet wrapper an all :eek:...she seems to have acquired a taste and smell for it now and has started following about anyone with some on their person....:eek:

She's a cav so we know she likes all foods & sweets but the determination and patience she shows in the hope of snatching an unguarded packet is starting to reach epic proportions... seems quite a bizarre choice is this anyone else's dogs favourite?

I believe that chewing gum has a sweetener that is toxic to dogs.:eek: So You might want to look into that more. Other members may know more about it as well!

everytime we go on the park ruby manages to find a wad of discarded chewing gum - im a childminder so she has a good run first then the kids go on the swings .. i have to tie her to the railings and make sure there is none in reach . yuck .

Thanks i'll keep her well clear of it in the future.....just have to stop her following and sniffing around people for it now:D

Be really careful about chewing gum. Some have xylitol in them which is highly toxic to dogs. We had an unfortunate experience with it, when Lucy grabbed a pack off my dressing table and took it under the bed without me realizing it. All I found was a few wrappers....since I was not sure how many pieces she had eaten we had to go to the vet and it was an expensive endeavor. Apparently xylitol can lower blood sugar levels in dogs and be toxic, so they had to test her blood sugar levels over several days and they also induced vomiting etc.... It cost about $500 but thankfully Lucy was fine. Now I keep all the chewing gum locked away on the top shelf of the pantry and we have a gate on the kitchen anyway to keep the dogs out of the cat food. Needless to say I don't ever want to go through that experience again.

Back