Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

I have started this as a New Thread, so I hope it is OK.

I have mentioned in a Previous Post , Norma Inglis' recent Chatterbox at the beginning of the week ,where she put so much emphasis on what being a Good Committee Member Meant.

What was so Conspicious by it's Absence was that Norma Inglis made absolutely no mention that being a Good Committee Member would include the Health of the Cavalier Breed.

I wonder if she has no interest in the Aspect of being a Good Committee Member surely would be the Health of our Cavalier Breed,that that should be Paramount to being a Good Committee Member.

This for me is an Eye Opener,

In the Recent List of Accredited Cavalier Breeders that I have just Printed off, there are no Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB Committee Members on it.

I would have thought that the Newly Elected CKCS Club Committee Members would be at least be Leading by being an Example by being an Accredited Breeder.

Or do they take Norma Ingls' Views are of what Being a Good Committee Member Means when she has ignored the Mention of the Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed.

I know the Cavalier Club has given a lot of Money for helping into the the Research of the Two most Serious Health Problems Afflicting the Cavalier Breed , SM and MVD ,but it is also the Cavalier Breeders who MUST play their Part in trying to Over-Come those Problems.

There are some Cavalier Breeders who are doing all they can by Health Testing their Cavalier Breeding Stock,but until the UK CKCS CLUB makes it Mandatory for all Cavalier Breeders to Health Test their Breeding Stock, then I really do think that the CKCS CLUB is just wasting it's time.

What good is it doing?

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In the Recent List of Accredited Cavalier Breeders that I have just Printed off, there are no Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB Committee Members on it.

I would have thought that the Newly Elected CKCS Club Committee Members would be at least be Leading by being an Example by being an Accredited Breeder.
    I agree that it is extraordinary that at this time of deep concern for the breed, and given the Club's past emphasis on its contributions towards breed health, that health now seems to warrant no mention as a top concern for the agenda of any intelligent, informed, thoughtful 'good committee member'...

On the other hand, given the prominence of this issue in the mind of the truly health-focused breeders out there, other health-focused club members who care about the future survival of the breed (and not some members' greater concern about show trophies and their puppy-selling businesses), pet owners, the general British public, two national UK committees of enquiry into the breed health of pedigree dogs, and national legislators (with several Conservative MPs now in government having pledged to work towards regulation in dog breeding if clubs refuse to focus on health) you'd think the CKCS Club's new committee and the columnist would not ignore this elephant in the room...? On a website associated with the club?

Many out there however intend to make sure these issues remain very much in the public and legislative conscience.

UK residents may wish to write (again) to their MPs on these issues as well as the Kennel Club to draw notice to the lack of any mention of health as a priority in that particular piece of writing, even though the columnist is the spouse of a committee member, which is all a bit worrying. Carol Fowler's www.cavaliercampaign.com website has lots of info on health issues and ideas on how to campaign at local and national level.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If anyone would like the specific section of the column to send in to relevant places, PM me and I will email it to you. Or you can find and copy it here.

I would think that 'supporting the majority' is exactly NOT what the breed or committee needs right now? Or what any thinking member of the club would ever wish to emphasise after that past national furore over the attitudes of the UK CKCS Club? The breed may be dead and gone if the status quo attitudes toward health (which, note, does not even deserve a mention as an issue here) pertains for another 5 years. What an own goal, this column is!

And how shameful and bizarre that in the 21st century any thoughtful person would make an offensive reference that a 'good committee member' apparently must have 'physical and mental' ability to 'fulfil tasks' -- whatever that means -- when in the item just above they pay respect to a member who passed away from motor neuron disease. How inconsiderate and thoughtless. And given that I understand there are formal complaints in to both the club and national UK bodies over this sentiment having also been expressed in the columnist's husband's candidate's statement sent before the committee election to all club members? Is this really what anyone thinks anymore? It is actually a violation of UK disability legislation to imply someone with a disability cannot 'fulfill their duty;' and to *a dog club*, for goodness sakes. Who in the past has been physically or mentally unable to fulfill their duty? What in the world is such a statement doing in a candidate's statement, a column, or on a national club-associated website? (maybe some will wish to draw attention to this to the appropriate bodies if they find this offensive...). Meanwhile the same club places back on its list of judges a woman convicted of animal cruelty to cavaliers for in effect, puppy farming -- in one of the largest UK trials on such an issue. I guess puppy farming and cruelty is OK, but having a physical disability is looked down upon?

Interesting too, this emphasis below -- a good committee member apparently:

Can think in terms of the broad welfare of the Club rather than his or her own interests
    Good grief. I think few of us ever expected to see such a thing stated so baldly, given all the scrutiny this and all the breed clubs have been under for being accused of taking *exactly* such a view of their own self-importance as clubs, rather than caretakers of dog breeds. This sums up everything that is wrong with the way clubs and breeders think and simply MUST by highlighted to the Kennel Club and UK legislators! Surely the main goal of a committee -- a NATIONAL BREED CLUB COMMIITTEE of a breed with two major health crises -- is to act for the broad welfare OF THE BREED, not themselves and their committee . But useful to know that this statement, instead, is deemed the agenda of the Club. Ensuring its happy clubbiness, in other words. One hopes no other committee member actually shares these self-serving sentiments.

This whole summary of what a good committee member is, is in effect a telling statement by a prominent breeder and show world member of why all breeders need to conform to the status quo, never take on an unpopular cause, never highlight issues of concern, and in effect, never act as an advocate for the dogs rather than the show and club system.

In short, in the columnist's view, a good committee member focuses only on the club and committee -- and there's not a single mention of the BREED or its general welfare.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Rather than write to our local MP Mr Frank Field (who is a Labour man but is certainly his own person ) holds a fortnightly surgery on a Friday evening just 200 yards from where I work so my plan is to go and see him face to face within the next month and present him with as much information as I can,so any help or guidance from members for my presentation to Mr Field will be gratefully received.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Newly elected uk ckcs club committee members

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    If anyone would like the specific section of the column to send in to relevant places, PM me and I will email it to you. Or you can find and copy it here.

I would think that 'supporting the majority' is exactly NOT what the breed or committee needs right now? Or what any thinking member of the club would ever wish to emphasise after that past national furore over the attitudes of the UK CKCS Club? The breed may be dead and gone if the status quo attitudes toward health (which, note, does not even deserve a mention as an issue here) pertains for another 5 years. What an own goal, this column is!

And how shameful and bizarre that in the 21st century any thoughtful person would make an offensive reference that a 'good committee member' apparently must have 'physical and mental' ability to 'fulfil tasks' -- whatever that means -- when in the item just above they pay respect to a member who passed away from motor neuron disease. How inconsiderate and thoughtless. And given that I understand there are formal complaints in to both the club and national UK bodies over this sentiment having also been expressed in the columnist's husband's candidate's statement sent before the committee election to all club members? Is this really what anyone thinks anymore? It is actually a violation of UK disability legislation to imply someone with a disability cannot 'fulfill their duty;' and to *a dog club*, for goodness sakes. Who in the past has been physically or mentally unable to fulfill their duty? What in the world is such a statement doing in a candidate's statement, a column, or on a national club-associated website? (maybe some will wish to draw attention to this to the appropriate bodies if they find this offensive...). Meanwhile the same club places back on its list of judges a woman convicted of animal cruelty to cavaliers for in effect, puppy farming -- in one of the largest UK trials on such an issue. I guess puppy farming and cruelty is OK, but having a physical disability is looked down upon?

Interesting too, this emphasis below -- a good committee member apparently:

Good grief. I think few of us ever expected to see such a thing stated so baldly, given all the scrutiny this and all the breed clubs have been under for being accused of taking *exactly* such a view of their own self-importance as clubs, rather than caretakers of dog breeds. This sums up everything that is wrong with the way clubs and breeders think and simply MUST by highlighted to the Kennel Club and UK legislators! Surely the main goal of a committee -- a NATIONAL BREED CLUB COMMIITTEE of a breed with two major health crises -- is to act for the broad welfare OF THE BREED, not themselves and their committee . But useful to know that this statement, instead, is deemed the agenda of the Club. Ensuring its happy clubbiness, in other words. One hopes no other committee member actually shares these self-serving sentiments.

This whole summary of what a good committee member is, is in effect a telling statement by a prominent breeder and show world member of why all breeders need to conform to the status quo, never take on an unpopular cause, never highlight issues of concern, and in effect, never act as an advocate for the dogs rather than the show and club system.

In short, in the columnist's view, a good committee member focuses only on the club and committee -- and there's not a single mention of the BREED or its general welfare.
    NEWLY ELECTED UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Because I feel so strongly about Norma Inglis' ARTICLE : WHAT MAKES A GOOD COMMITTEE MEMBER:

I have now contacted Mr Lambert who is involved with Kennel Club's Accredited Breeders Scheme,also the the Independant Advisory Council ,just to make them aware of we Cavalier Pet Owners are having to Battle Against.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    so any help or guidance from members for my presentation to Mr Field will be gratefully received.
    Brian, there is one committee member newly elected who refuses to scan, refuses to believe that there is a SM problem in the breed when we all know that no lines will have escaped this disease and another committee member who has similar views to those expressed above. With these two on the committee my feelings are, well unprintable.
    Perhaps stating these facts to your MP might be of use.

Nanette
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brian you might PM Carol F. but I believe she is on holiday during this week.

Her www.cavaliercampaign.com website has some information you can print off. Also you might look back for some of the past coverage of the CKCS Club in national newspapers and in K9 Magazine and Dogs Today.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Please pass on the details in my latest blog

As you know I was going to stand for this committee but withdrew because of manipulation of the election process.

I was not able to get to the AGM, so I am still trying to get a clear picture of what happened but I should be able to post more details over the weekend.

It would appear that members of the Cavalier Club have chosen to elect committee members that are openly complaining that too much money is being spent on health research.
    Note that this money is raised specifically for health. It does not come from the general budget that pays for the big expensive Championship shows.

It is fortunate that concerned pet owners are willing to support schemes like Rupert's Fund, because it looks as if the remaining health conscious breeders on the Cavalier Club committee may find it difficult to get any health initiatives agreed.

My proposal that committee members agree to breed according to the Club's own guidelines was thrown out, and you can see why when a look through the latest two or three Breed Record Supplements will show there are committee members that are consistently breeding from underage dogs.
    In one case a puppy of 9 months was mated to a 14 month bitch, & this in a breed where the code of ethics contain breeding guidelines that specify that cavaliers should be at least 2.5 years when mated.

If our breed is to have a future then it will be the ordinary pet loving public that will bring that about by putting pressure on breeders and governing bodies to consider the welfare of dogs.

With that in mind I have just put my Puppy Buyers Advice up as a blog. Please pass it on to any one you know that may be thinking of buying a cavalier puppy.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Newly elected uk ckcs club committee members

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret C View Post
    As you know I was going to stand for this committee but withdrew because of manipulation of the election process.

I was not able to get to the AGM, so I am still trying to get a clear picture of what happened but I should be able to post more details over the weekend.

It would appear that members of the Cavalier Club have chosen to elect committee members that are openly complaining that too much money is being spent on health research.
    Note that this money is raised specifically for health. It does not come from the general budget that pays for the big expensive Championship shows.

It is fortunate that concerned pet owners are willing to support schemes like Rupert's Fund, because it looks as if the remaining health conscious breeders on the Cavalier Club committee may find it difficult to get any health initiatives agreed.

My proposal that committee members agree to breed according to the Club's own guidelines was thrown out, and you can see why when a look through the latest two or three Breed Record Supplements will show there are committee members that are consistently breeding from underage dogs.
    In one case a puppy of 9 months was mated to a 14 month bitch, & this in a breed where the code of ethics contain breeding guidelines that specify that cavaliers should be at least 2.5 years when mated.

If our breed is to have a future then it will be the ordinary pet loving public that will bring that about by putting pressure on breeders and governing bodies to consider the welfare of dogs.

With that in mind I have just put my Puppy Buyers Advice up as a blog. Please pass it on to any one you know that may be thinking of buying a cavalier puppy.

NEWLY ELECTED UK CKCS COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

Could I mention that what we True Lovers of our Cavalier Breed have now discovered in the Last Few Days about the Attitude of some Cavalier Breeders concerning the Health Problems in our Cherished Breed,is maybe for the Good.

We now know where we are in the Battle about the Health Problems Afflicting Cavaliers. !!!

It is going to be down to the Cavalier Breeders who Carry out Health Tests on their Breeding Stock, and as Margaret has said in her Blog, Prospective Buyers of Cavaliers who will only buy Cavaliers from Cavalier Breeders who do those Health Checks.

I was Disgusted to read in Margaret's Post ,that there seem to be Elected Committee Members who are openly Complaining that TOO MUCH MONEY is Being Spent on Health Research.

How do those Folk think the Health Research can move forward ,unless by being given Funds.

By the way ,is it not Many Cavalier Breeders who have have caused the Health Problems for the Cavalier Breed.

We all know about the Saying , this is the Way the Cookie Crumbles ,well it sure applies after Margaret's Proposal at the AGM ,when she Proposed that COMMITTEE MEMBERS agree to Breed According to the CKCS CLUB's own Breeding Guidelines was thrown out .

I do hope the Press will have a Field Day when they get to hear about what is now taking place about concerns about the Health of Cavaliers.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Newly ELECTED UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Quote Originally Posted by Bet View Post

Because I feel so strongly about Norma Inglis' ARTICLE : WHAT MAKES A GOOD COMMITTEE MEMBER:

I have now contacted Mr Lambert who is involved with Kennel Club's Accredited Breeders Scheme,also the the Independant Advisory Council ,just to make them aware of we Cavalier Pet Owners are having to Battle Against.

Bet

Could I add further to this Thread.

At least Two of those Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS ,have made no Mention in the Recently Published UK CKCS CLUB YEAR BOOK ,2009, in their Advertisements about Health Testing their Cavalier Breeding Stock.

I wonder why they don't do this.

Do they or don't they Health Test their Cavalier Breeding Stock?

I would think that now because they are Members of the UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE the Members of the UK CKCS CLUB have a right to now about this.

I know that some Cavalier Breeders say that when they carry out Health Tests on their Cavalier Breeding Stock ,it's for their information only, and has nothing to do with any -body else.

All I can reply to this Statement ,that it is nothing of the kind ,those days have Long Gone ,this is the 21st Century we are now living in.

Are some Cavalier Breeders ,who were recently mentioned in a Report in a Journal of Hereditary Diseases ,believe that by High-Lighting the Cavalier Health Issues ,may reduce Cavalier Puppy Sales and/or compromise their Breeding Program and thus endanger their Livelihood.

Or do some Cavalier Breeders ,live their Lives Through their Cavaliers' Wins in the Show Scene??

Finally ,if I could return to my Bee in my Bonnet about the Small size of Head many of to-days' Cavaliers now have from a number of years ago.

We had to take SUZY back to our Vets' again yesterday, she now has a Tummy Bug.

I,was sitting next to a lady who had a B/T .

I had to ask if the wee Dog was a King Charles Spaniel ,or a Cavalier!!

Remember we have had Cavaliers since 1973, I could'nt tell the difference.

I explained to her about how much Smaller the Cavalier Heads were to-day than about 25 years ago ,she said that her Mother had had 8 Cavaliers as pets ,and what I was saying was right.

That when her Mother had Cavaliers ,they had a different Sized Head when her Mother first had them.

Finally,Finally, I now really do wonder, if it is time for those Cavalier Breeders who have no interest in Health Testing their Cavalier Breeding Stock and are trying to Thwart those Cavalier Breeders who are trying to give the the Cavalier Breed a Future,let them rule the UK CKCS BREED CLUB,but those other Cavalier Breeders have a CKCS CLUB ,where Prospective Cavalier Buyers can contact knowing that they are dealing with a Responsible Cavalier Breeder who has the interest of their Cavalier Breeding Stock who can have the chance of Producing Cavaliers who have Healthy ,Long Lives.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)