Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Snippets from the AGM

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    This whole summary of what a good committee member is, is in effect a telling statement by a prominent breeder and show world member of why all breeders need to conform to the status quo, never take on an unpopular cause, never highlight issues of concern, and in effect, never act as an advocate for the dogs rather than the show and club system.

In short, in the columnist's view, a good committee member focuses only on the club and committee -- and there's not a single mention of the BREED or its general welfare.
    As I have said I was not able to get to the AGM but this is what I have heard so far..........

One good piece of news. At long last it was agreed that the SM guidelines should be added to the Club code of ethics.
    The bad news was that the proposal that the committee members should set an example and agree to breed to the health guidelines while they are in office was thrown out. Another exercise in paying lip service to a protocol that top breeders will not use.

The proposal that would have barred me from rejoining the Committee was apparently withdrawn on KC instructions. It was against human rights legislation.

The author of the lying statement that implied I had divulged committee information had received a Solicitor's letter and so read out a completely different reason for proposing the rule.

There were other proposals that were either amended or withdrawn on the instructions of the Kennel Club.

There is an interesting situation in that when I withdrew from the election contest the Cavalier Club chose to put a notice from Electoral Reform Services, the organisaation running the election, on their website which informed the Club that the rules did not make it clear that I could withdraw.
    They advised that the votes sent in for me should still be counted and I should be required to resign if I secured a place.

I have good reason to believe the votes cast for me, despite my withdrawal, were enough to give me one of the committee vacancies, but I have not been able to verify that yet as it seems the Cavalier Club Secretary has not now got the voting information?

I have not been asked to resign, so presumably I could claim one of the committee places?
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Newly elected uk ckcs club committee members

Quote Originally Posted by Bet View Post
    NEWLY ELECTED UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Could I add further to this Thread.

At least Two of those Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS ,have made no Mention in the Recently Published UK CKCS CLUB YEAR BOOK ,2009, in their Advertisements about Health Testing their Cavalier Breeding Stock.

I wonder why they don't do this.

Do they or don't they Health Test their Cavalier Breeding Stock?

I would think that now because they are Members of the UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE the Members of the UK CKCS CLUB have a right to now about this.

I know that some Cavalier Breeders say that when they carry out Health Tests on their Cavalier Breeding Stock ,it's for their information only, and has nothing to do with any -body else.

All I can reply to this Statement ,that it is nothing of the kind ,those days have Long Gone ,this is the 21st Century we are now living in.

Are some Cavalier Breeders ,who were recently mentioned in a Report in a Journal of Hereditary Diseases ,believe that by High-Lighting the Cavalier Health Issues ,may reduce Cavalier Puppy Sales and/or compromise their Breeding Program and thus endanger their Livelihood.

Or do some Cavalier Breeders ,live their Lives Through their Cavaliers' Wins in the Show Scene??

Finally ,if I could return to my Bee in my Bonnet about the Small size of Head many of to-days' Cavaliers now have from a number of years ago.

We had to take SUZY back to our Vets' again yesterday, she now has a Tummy Bug.

I,was sitting next to a lady who had a B/T .

I had to ask if the wee Dog was a King Charles Spaniel ,or a Cavalier!!

Remember we have had Cavaliers since 1973, I could'nt tell the difference.

I explained to her about how much Smaller the Cavalier Heads were to-day than about 25 years ago ,she said that her Mother had had 8 Cavaliers as pets ,and what I was saying was right.

That when her Mother had Cavaliers ,they had a different Sized Head when her Mother first had them.

Finally,Finally, I now really do wonder, if it is time for those Cavalier Breeders who have no interest in Health Testing their Cavalier Breeding Stock and are trying to Thwart those Cavalier Breeders who are trying to give the the Cavalier Breed a Future,let them rule the UK CKCS BREED CLUB,but those other Cavalier Breeders have a CKCS CLUB ,where Prospective Cavalier Buyers can contact knowing that they are dealing with a Responsible Cavalier Breeder who has the interest of their Cavalier Breeding Stock who can have the chance of Producing Cavaliers who have Healthy ,Long Lives.

Bet

Could I just mention , that for the Editor of CHATTERBOX ,who wrote last week's disgracefull Article about what Makes a Good Committee Member,I am sure there will be many Cavalier Owners shocked by what was written, especially when the Public are now so aware about the the SM and MVD Problems Afflicting our Cavalier Breed ,and she made no mention about A Good Committee Member should have this as their NO 1 Priority.

Also as I mentioned in a previous Post ,None of the Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS are

Accredited Breeders, which surely is a Matter that should be given concern to the UK CKCS CLUB, since the Kennel Club is giving so much Publicity to their Accredited Breeders Scheme.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello

Just to satisfy my curiosity would it be possible to advise the K C Kennel names of the newly elected members of The UK CKCS Club committee . I would have presumed that the new committee members would have set an example to all and led from the front by being members of this new world order of The Kennel Club Accredited Breeder Scheme .

It seems they have pressed the self destruction button once more and are attracting
    lots of attention to themselves by their comments in the chatterbox section of a prominent Cavalier website and not forgetting the obvious lack of mention regarding breed welfare and health by this person .
    Last edited by Brian M; 7th June 2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hello

Just to satisfy my curiosity would it be possible to advise the K C Kennel names of the newly elected members of The UK CKCS Club committee . I would have presumed that the new committee members would have set an example to all and led from the front by being members of this new world order of The Kennel Club Accredited Breeder Scheme .

It seems they have pressed the self destruction button once more and are attracting
    lots of attention to themselves by their comments in the chatterbox section on the clubs website and not forgetting the obvious lack of mention regarding breed welfare and health by this person .

NEWLY ELECTED UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

Yes Brian,

Since the List was put on a CAVALIER FORUM on the Internet for every-body to see ,there should be no problem in passing the names onto the Kennel Club.

Also an Interesting Mention about the Health of our Cavalier Breed which the Editor of Chatterbox did not consider worth mentioning in her Thoughtless Article about what makes a Good Committee Member.

This Article will Long be Remembered by us Cavalier Owners who have shed many tears watching our Cherished Cavaliers Suffer and Die from SM and MVD.

How-ever back to the Post from I would think would be from one of the Oldest Living Members of the CKCS CLUB,she says before Breeding a Cavalier , the Sire and Dam should be Checked by a Board-Certified Cardiologist this is to make sure neither have a Heart Murmur ,since MVD is VERY Prevalant in the Cavalier Breed.

Also Both the Sire and Dam should be MRI Scanned to see what their Status is in Regard to SM because of the Effect this Disease has had on the Cavalier Breed and Breeding Guidelines should be being followed .

Thank Goodness there are some in the Cavalier World who are concerned about the Health of Cavaliers, even although Norma Ingls, a Cavalier Breeder ,who wrote about what makes a Good Committee Member, does no seem to think that being a Good Committee Member Warrents concerns about the Health Problems in our Beloved Cavaliers.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

Brian wrote:
    lots of attention to themselves by their comments in the chatterbox section on the clubs website and not forgetting the obvious lack of mention regarding breed welfare and health by this person .

Unfortunately, Chatterbox is nothing to do with the Cavalier Club. It is not on the Club's website but on a private website run by Steve Mynott, and the writer is not on the Club committee (though her husband has just been elected onto it), so the Club has no direct infuence over what is written. Unless it is illegal or libellous, she has every right to say what she wants - as we do on this website. Her views on committee members are simply her own ideas - though I do think she should sometimes make this clearer; as a leading breeder/exhibitor some people may think she speaks on behalf of the Club.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    Brian wrote:

Unfortunately, Chatterbox is nothing to do with the Cavalier Club. It is not on the Club's website but on a private website run by Steve Mynott, and the writer is not on the Club committee (though her husband has just been elected onto it), so the Club has no direct infuence over what is written. Unless it is illegal or libellous, she has every right to say what she wants - as we do on this website. Her views on committee members are simply her own ideas - though I do think she should sometimes make this clearer; as a leading breeder/exhibitor some people may think she speaks on behalf of the Club.

Kate, Oliver and Aled
    NEWLY ELECTED UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

Kate,

My biggest concern is that none of the Newly Elected CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS are Accredited Breeders.

I have contacted Mr B.Lambert about this ,he is involved with the Kennel Club's Accedited Breeders Scheme,and has also attended CKCS Regional CLUBS' recent AGM's ,I think even a UK CKCS CLUB'S AGM ,explaining the Priority the KC is giving to their Accredited Breeders Scheme .

I really would think that to be a UK CKCS CLUB Committee Member , they should be Leading by the Example by being an Accredited Breeder.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately for anything the Club may wish to dissociate itself from (and given the publicly voiced comments from many on the new committee, I doubt that would be their desire), the website portrays itself as closely connected to the club and the main source of breed information for the UK.

Opinions are always one's own -- but given the source, and the close connection of columnist to many committee members, the echo of the phrasing of of the election documents of an actual committee member, and the publication of the column in the past as THE breed column in one of the main show magazines, it definitely reflects and will be seen to reflect a perspective that, as Margaret has confirmed, seems to place health issues at the periphery of what a club committee is supposed to be about.

It is an incredibly crass statement, insensitive to many individuals and issues, and certainly will do the new committee no favours if it is actually trying to be seen as an actively pro-health, pro-breed committee. And as an example of a hopelessly clueless breeder and club perspective, it is a retrograde piece of writing that should be passed along to relevant decision-makers as an example of why outside regulation is the only hope for pedigree dogs. It will, for example certainly not persuade Prof Bateson or many MPs or KC officials that the club is moving forward from its past crises around health and its own (mal)functioning that were so ridiculous at times that it was repeatedly highlighted in the UK national mainstream press.

I know many, many people will be watching this committee at this very critical point for the breed, and hoping it will be responsible and actively pro-health,and act on the breed's behalf even if it requires taking brave stances on health issues that many breeders have demonstrated they wish would simply go away. There is certainly heightened scrutiny now on any committee, especially of this particular breed club.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Unfortunately for anything the Club may wish to dissociate itself from (and given the publicly voiced comments from many on the new committee, I doubt that would be their desire), the website portrays itself as closely connected to the club and the main source of breed information for the UK.

Opinions are always one's own -- but given the source, and the close connection of columnist to many committee members, the echo of the phrasing of of the election documents of an actual committee member, and the publication of the column in the past as THE breed column in one of the main show magazines, it definitely reflects and will be seen to reflect a perspective that, as Margaret has confirmed, seems to place health issues at the periphery of what a club committee is supposed to be about.

It is an incredibly crass statement, insensitive to many individuals and issues, and certainly will do the new committee no favours if it is actually trying to be seen as an actively pro-health, pro-breed committee. And as an example of a hopelessly clueless breeder and club perspective, it is a retrograde piece of writing that should be passed along to relevant decision-makers as an example of why outside regulation is the only hope for pedigree dogs. It will, for example certainly not persuade Prof Bateson or many MPs or KC officials that the club is moving forward from its past crises around health and its own (mal)functioning that were so ridiculous at times that it was repeatedly highlighted in the UK national mainstream press.

I know many, many people will be watching this committee at this very critical point for the breed, and hoping it will be responsible and actively pro-health,and act on the breed's behalf even if it requires taking brave stances on health issues that many breeders have demonstrated they wish would simply go away. There is certainly heightened scrutiny now on any committee, especially of this particular breed club.

Karlin ,

Thanks for your Post,I could'nt agree more with what you have Posted.

I have just read on the CC LIST which is closely associated with Norma Inglis' Chatterbox,from the Administrator, that the subject of the Recent UK CKCS CLUB AGM is now Closed.

Is this a case of ,If you can't Stand the Heat Get out of the Kitchen.

I don't think I have been out of order when I contacted Mr Bill Lambert, who is involved with the Kennel Club's Accredited Breeders Scheme, informing him about Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS not being Accredited Breeders.

Also sending the Newly Formed Independant Advisory Council a Copy what makes a Good Committee Member, mentioning in Particular that the Worries about the Cavaliers' Health Problems ,SM and MVD were Conspicious by their Absence, this from a Top Cavalier Breeder.

I mentioned that is what we Cavalier Owners are up against when trying to get notice taken by some Cavalier Breeders about the Health Problems in our Cavaliers.

It will be interesting to see what stand will be being taken by the UK CKCS CLUB and their Committee, with regards to the Cavalier Breed's Health Problems.

I have just received my DOGS TODAY Magazine, and read the comments about Margaret,both she and Carol were for sure, TWO BRAVE Ladies.

When you realize what Margaret is now involved in concerning the Health Problems of the Cavalier Breed ,has the UK CKCS CLUB really any use except to orginize Cavalier Shows.

Thank - Goodness for Karlin, Margaret and Carol,to my way of thinking the Future of the Cavalier Breed now depends on them, not the UK CKCS CLUB.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

Would just like to add that if anyone intends making an appointment to see their MP (please do) I'm more than happy to help.

You can email me at carol@cavaliercampaign.com or phone 01453 843944

I have written to all 647 newly elected MPs asking them for their support in the reform of dog breeding, and inserting the recommendations which are on my website.

Each MP will receive a personally addressed and signed letter through the post.

I could not have done this without the help of Tania Ledger who provided me with stationery, photocopying and postage. Thank you so much, Tania.

So, if you go to visit your MP he/she will already have received a letter from me and should have some awareness of the issue. A visit from one of their constituents in person will make sure that they cannot ignore, and you will be helping hugely.

I haven't heard officially which of the Cavalier Club AGM proposals have been accepted or rejected but what's leaking out doesn't look good. The Clubs look after people not dogs and the breed is not safe in their hands.

Carol

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Many breeders are still saying that the Accredited Breeder Scheme is just a PR exercise by the Kennel Club - and that many of those on the scheme are just puppy farmers...

Currently the results of health tests required by the scheme do not have to be taken into account when breeding a litter - which is a ridiculous situation - and I think many breeders will not take the scheme seriously until this is changed.

At present, the only health test required by the scheme for Cavaliers is eye testing for MRD - although that is due to change later this year when the Heart testing {MVD} and SM schemes also become live.

The current understanding is that the MRI scans carried out to date at Chestergates are not going to be acceptable for the new BVA/KC SM scheme - which is going to be a huge issue for many breeders. I have heard that some have already resigned from the Accredited Breeder Scheme for this reason - they are not prepared to rescan a dog who has already been scanned {especially if it is in the last year or two}, not wishing to put the dog under a GA - also obviously there are financial implications.

I'm not making excuses for breeders, but I do feel people should be aware of the situation that many find themselves facing...

It is good news that the SM guidelines have finally been added to the club's code of ethics - but so sad that the committee are not prepared to lead by example .
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org