• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sharp Pain in 3 year old male that recurs regularly

Michigan54

Your help, please.
The vet couldn't find anything during 2 exams. Our KCCS has a sharp pain-short duration and seems to scratch his ear with his back leg. He lets out a sharp yelp-clearly pain about once every other day or so-the yelp lasts only a second or 2.
Any help with similar behavior is appreciated. Opinions? I'm concerned about our boy.
Thank you.
Direct e-mail is [email protected]
Mark in Michigan

Has your vet heard of syringomyelia in this breed? Or PSOM? They'd want to check both these things.

See www.smcavalier.com, www.cavalierhealth.org for more information and in particular, especially for your vet too, the section on syringomyelia here: http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/

I think your vet probably needs to refer you to a neurologist given symptoms and inability to find another explanation. Sadly, syringomyelia is very common in the breed, with probably more than half of cavaliers eventually developing it, tough many remain without symptoms. The cavalier health website has lists of neurologists and marks those with a familiarity with SM in regions across the US. Let us know what you hear; I hope the links will help.

If you get an SM diagnosis, you can get support and advice here -- many of us here are familiar with the condition -- two of my dogs have it, for example. One is on medication.

Back