• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on Amber

CavyMom

Sorry I haven't been on for a few days, sadly, after a few days on meds, Amber quite responding. Even on the dosages recommended, after a few days the pain returned with a vengance :( I've spoken with the neurologist, and he's reviewed the records from the other vets I've taken Amber to, and he's said based on the time frame, symptoms, and treatments she's had in the past, and the fact she stopped responding to the meds she's on right now, we can either try to up her meds, or put her on Prednisone and see if that helps with the pain :( He said surgery for her is an option, but not one that'd be recommended. Based on her age and overall health, she'd have about a 50/50 chance of surviving and doing well after surger, not good enough odds for me to want to take the risk. So I'm being faced with a very difficult decision :( She's on Gabapectin 100 mg 3 times a day now, Prilosec once a day, Previcox once a day, and Tramadol for the pain 3 times a day. We have to take her off the Previcox for at least 48 hours before we can even try to see if a steroid will give us better results for Amber, my heart is just breaking :( She's only 6 1/2, I don't want to face loosing my special girl but I just can not go on like this and watching my dog suffer day after day! The neurologist spoke to me for about 30 minutes over the phone after he'd reviewed her records, and as I suspected, he said it soundes like SM, but the only way to confirm is an MRI, but he said based on symptoms alone, he'd be suprised if the MRI showed it was't. He spoke of PSOM, but said that based on records he's seeing, and the fact she's had x-rays done that I was able to get him copies sent of from vets in Las Vegas when I loved there, he doesn't think it's very likely that it's PSOM especially with the severity of symptoms, and also said it's unlikely that it's a "pinched nerve" I'd been told in Vegas. Sadly, to actually get an appointment with him, it's nearly a 5 week wait :( I made an appointment, but I just don't know if I can wait that long, what should I do? This dog means the world to me, but she's back to wanting to hide in her crate, she's listless, she won't go on walks, doesn't want to sleep on the bed, she either hides in her crate or lays on a cool spot on the kitchen or bathroom floors, this isn't the happy-go-lucky cavalier that use to follow me everywhere, lived to sit in my lap, and snuggled with me every night that she use to be, and it's breaking my heart knowing that she's got to be in alot of pain to be acting like this! I can't even touch her without her screaming, even if I put a harness on her she scratches at it until I take it off, she can't stand anything even brushing against her :( Is it just to soon since she started on the meds (it's been about a week now)? Do you think there's hope that she's going to improve, or is this the life my beloved dog is now doomed to? I want so bad to see her well again, I would do anything for her!

Hi,
It was heart breaking reading your post. Im so sorry that Amber isnt responding as we all hoped. I dont know if it's too soon following the meds but some one on hear with experience and knowledge will be able to advise Im sure.
I just wanted to say Im thinking of you and hoping that Amber finds some comfort very soon:hug:

I am so sorry you're going through this. I have seen such a remarkable improvement in Jade since starting her on Prednisone. She can now go for walks on her harness and very rarely has any pain. I have noticed, however that mornings are worst for her. Her meds are Gabapentin 100mg twice a day, Pred 5mg once a day and Furosimide 10mg twice a day. So far so good...... As a Therapy Dog she is now able to visit a Frail Care centre once a month without any problems and brings smiles to everyone she meets! The Pred can cause hair loss, but I am using a South African product called Mirra Cote and it has worked wonders. Good luck and keep us updated.

I am sorry Amber remains in so much pain. :(

A couple of things. Are the meds what the neurologist is advising? The dosage of gabapentin is actually quite low. This is not a 'big gun' drug -- it is actually a fairly common painkiller that is tolerated really well by most dogs (and people). My Leo is on 150mg 3x and often dogs are on higher. He doesn't take all that other stuff. For some dogs cimetidine or frusimide gives a much better response than omeprazole (prilosec). Tramadol doesn't suit all dogs either.

Lyrica usually gives a much better response that gabapentin for dogs in a lot of pain-- it is a stronger form of gabapentin but is still on patent so is considerably more expensive.

Prednisalone often works wonders. If you are only talking about stabilising her for 5 weeks, I'd definitely try preds to get her more comfortable. I would probably start there if she is in severe pain (based on what has worked for other people's cavaliers and the route followed by their neurologists). Maybe your vet can ring and get further guidance.

You may find she can do very well for months or years on a better mix of medications. Getting the right mix tends to be trial and error (as with humans. Generally you need to try for 2 weeks for a response but if a dog remains in real daily extreme pain then I'd ask about raising the gabapentin dose, trying Lyrica instead, or trying prednisalone immediately.

I really hope the prednisone will work for Amber. Like Jade, my SM dog Riley is a different dog on prednisone. She takes 5 mg/day and I saw a difference almost immediately. Actually, her neurologist started her on 10 mg/day for a week and then dropped it down to 5 mg for her maintenance dose. She has been on it for approximately a year now and the only side effect has been hair loss. Although, I have reversed some of it by giving her 1000 mg of pure, organic salmon oil caps every day. She actually started to grow new hair on her belly which was almost bare!! She will probably be on prednisone for the rest of her life as she hasn't been able to tolerate the effects of her SM when she is off of it. I'm really hoping and praying that Amber has a good response.

Thanks everyone! This morning Amber started throwing up, so we're taking her off the prilosec all together, I think that's what's upsetting her stomach. I took her back to the regular vet I use, and he called the neurologist and actually reached him when he saw how bad Amber was. We've doubled her Gabapectin dosage, and stopped the NSAIDS, just Gabapectin for the next 48 hours, then we'll start her on prednisone so they don't interact with each other, and adjust her meds from there if we need to. He also gave her an injection of a stronger pain killer (sorry, today has just gone by in a blur, I can't remember what he told me it was!) and she's slept the rest of the day, a vast improvement over the listless, sad dog she's been the last couple of days! It's really breaking my heart to see my baby suffer like this! But I'm glad she's at least been able to rest comfortable this afternoon, I'm hoping for a peaceful, uneventful night tonight and a much more comfortable Amber tomorrow!

Update on amber

Thanks everyone! This morning Amber started throwing up, so we're taking her off the prilosec all together, I think that's what's upsetting her stomach. I took her back to the regular vet I use, and he called the neurologist and actually reached him when he saw how bad Amber was. We've doubled her Gabapectin dosage, and stopped the NSAIDS, just Gabapectin for the next 48 hours, then we'll start her on prednisone so they don't interact with each other, and adjust her meds from there if we need to. He also gave her an injection of a stronger pain killer (sorry, today has just gone by in a blur, I can't remember what he told me it was!) and she's slept the rest of the day, a vast improvement over the listless, sad dog she's been the last couple of days! It's really breaking my heart to see my baby suffer like this! But I'm glad she's at least been able to rest comfortable this afternoon, I'm hoping for a peaceful, uneventful night tonight and a much more comfortable Amber tomorrow!

I sure am keeping my Fingers Crossed for AMBER

Thinking of you Both

Bet

:xfngr: that Amber is feeling more comfortable and that her new pain medication regime is successful.

Thinking of you guys and hoping you can find the right meds combination that will help her. This must be so hard for you. :(

Thinking of you both. How did last night go?
Hopefully the increased gabapentin dose, along with pred will do wonders for Amber. I am another advocate of pred and the changes it can bring about, so :xfngr:. Don't despair if it doesn't help as you would like it to, there are lots of other options that Karlin has mentioned, so, keep at it. Amber is lucky to have you as her human, as we can see you are doing everything you can for her.:flwr:

Thank you everyone for your love and support. Today Amber starts with the Pred, so we'll see how she does with that, the increased Gabapectin does seem to be making some difference, but I had to take Amber back yesterday afternoon for another pain shot injection :( The vet is suggesting we may need to go to a patch while we find the right med combo to keep her comfortable, but he wants to give the Pred a couple days and see what happens, since I've been trained as a vet tech he sent me home with a couple of pain injections I can give her at home if I need to. Poor Amber, it's not easy on my other cavalier, either, Amber and Star are inseperable, little Star just doesn't understand why Amber doesn't want to play with her anymore, but she's being such a sweet heart and just stays by Amber's side and snuggles with her. If Amber doesn't want to get on the bed at night, Star stays on the floor right next to her. I wish I had the space and money to care for another cavalier, I'd be tempted to bring another one home so Star could start bonding with another cavalier, so when the inevitable happens she'd still have another cavalier to pal around with! My cavaliers are so funny, I don't know if this is typical of the breed, but I've noticed both of mine prefer the company of other cavaliers. Even though I have the other dogs in my house, the cavaliers pretty much stick together.

I hope the prednisone works as well for Amber as it did - and still does - for Riley. As I mentioned before, it has been a miracle drug for Riley and has been the only medication to control her symptoms. What is her starting dosage?

They started her on 10 mg twice a day, and then in a week want me to up to 20 mg twice a day, and then adjust from there based on how Amber reacts. So far I'm not seeing much difference, but she's only been on it for a day, praying it starts working better!

Back