Hi everyone, I've never posted here before but have visited many times and love this forum. My 2 year old black and tan Cav, Charlie, died unexpectedly Thurs. night and I'm totally devastated. Charlie was outside with us and I noticed he looked lethargic and was looking at me strangely and his tongue was pale. I tried calling him to me and he would not come which in unlike him at all. My father was there and he carried him into the house. Charlie got up and started stumbling around. We then took him to the emergency vet. To make a long story short, he apparently was stung by a bee (or possibly a spider or other bug) to which he was allergic--we had no idea he was allergic. He went into anaphylactic shock. While they were treating him at the vet, he developed DIC (not exactly clear on what that is but has to do with his blood platelets I think) and went into cardiac arrest. He died 4 hours after the incident began.
I cannot believe he is gone. He was one of the greatest joys of my life. I loved him immensely. I can't believe he was fine and happy one minute and then gone just a short while later. I don't know what to do without him. It doesn't seem fair that he was here for such a short time.
I've had (and lost) lots of pets over the years, but have never felt so devastated. He was the most special dog you can ever imagine. I'm sure you all feel that way about your Cav's but I just can't imagine any dog being as special as Charlie! My husband feels the same way. There was just something really unique and special about him and I can't believe I'm never going to see him again.
I've never even felt this much pain over losing a human loved one. Thanks for letting me share.
Amy in Maryland, U.S.