• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Devastated by sudden loss of my 2 year old boy

amyd

Hi everyone, I've never posted here before but have visited many times and love this forum. My 2 year old black and tan Cav, Charlie, died unexpectedly Thurs. night and I'm totally devastated. Charlie was outside with us and I noticed he looked lethargic and was looking at me strangely and his tongue was pale. I tried calling him to me and he would not come which in unlike him at all. My father was there and he carried him into the house. Charlie got up and started stumbling around. We then took him to the emergency vet. To make a long story short, he apparently was stung by a bee (or possibly a spider or other bug) to which he was allergic--we had no idea he was allergic. He went into anaphylactic shock. While they were treating him at the vet, he developed DIC (not exactly clear on what that is but has to do with his blood platelets I think) and went into cardiac arrest. He died 4 hours after the incident began.

I cannot believe he is gone. He was one of the greatest joys of my life. I loved him immensely. I can't believe he was fine and happy one minute and then gone just a short while later. I don't know what to do without him. It doesn't seem fair that he was here for such a short time.

I've had (and lost) lots of pets over the years, but have never felt so devastated. He was the most special dog you can ever imagine. I'm sure you all feel that way about your Cav's but I just can't imagine any dog being as special as Charlie! :) My husband feels the same way. There was just something really unique and special about him and I can't believe I'm never going to see him again.

I've never even felt this much pain over losing a human loved one. Thanks for letting me share.

Amy in Maryland, U.S.

Hello Amy

I am so so sorry to read of your unexpected loss ,it is so tragic for you ,our warmest thoughts go out to you at this awful time.:(

Hi Amy,

So sorry to read of your loss. :(

Those of us who have lost a loved pet can empathise with you.

Nick

Oh my gosh Amy.....that's is horrible!! I can only imagine how devastated you are. To lose a pet after an illness is hard enough but to have one suddenly die, more than I can even imagine. I'm so sorry. Wish I could offer more but all I can do is offer my sympathies for your broken heart.

I am so, so sorry -- this is just so sad and devastating and all of us can understand how bereft and shocked you must feel. It is just unbearably cruel to have lost Charlie so quickly and without warning. I have heard of a few cases of dogs reacting like this to stings and you did everything you could and all the right things. He was part of your family and you have every right to feel the grief that you do. :flwr:

I am so, so sorry and I am writing this with tears in my eyes. You're right - it isn't fair . I dread the day it happens to one of mine, but it is so sad to lose Charlie without any warning. My heart aches for you.

Oh, Amy, I am so, so sorry for your loss of Charlie.
It is so very hard to lose them - especially in such a sudden and unexpected way.
Our heartfelt love goes out to you.

Amy,

Im so sorry to hear about little Charlie. We all feel the same about our Cavs here so everyone will totally understand the devastation you are going through.
Sending hugs and best wishes

Mel

Oh Amy, I am so sorry that you are experiencing his loss and pain, it is so hard when we lose someone we love, poor Charlie, he will be waiting at the Bridge for you..run free little man...you will be in my thoughts over the coming days, allow yourself to grieve for your fur baby, in time you will be able to remember him without it hurting this much :hug:

I too am so sorry to read about your devastating loss. I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Cavvies may be small but they take up a huge part of our hearts. :hug:

I am so very sorry to read your news

In the air that you breathe
In the sounds that you hear
Don't cry for me Mom and Dad
My spirit is near

I'll watch for you
From the other side
I'll be the one running
New friends by my side

Smile at my memory
Remember in your heart
This isn't the end
It's a brand new start

---Aileen

There is nothing I can say to you that will make you feel better. Life sometimes deals out a cruel hand and to lose Charlie so suddenly is devastating. My heart goes out to you.

How incredibly sad you must be .....It brought a lump to my throat just reading your sad story...Sending you love ..Teresa...xx

Oh Amy, how terribly sad that this should be your first post. Everyone on here probably knows what it is like to lose such a beloved companion, and some of us have also experienced sudden and unexpected losses, which are even harder to bear.

We shall hold you in our hearts and send healing thoughts. Do hope you will be able to share some happier times in the future
Heartblowingpoog.gif

So sorry for your sudden loss and yes losing a Cavy can be much more painful than losing a human loved one.

Back