Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Ex Breeding Dog-Long post!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bonnie Ex Breeding Dog-Long post!!

Hi All

Please meet Bonnie, she is supposidly 6, but I would say she is closer to 8, my cousin took her from a puppy farm in Wexford over the weekend, and had asked me to take care of her, or try to find her a home. I traveled to Enniscourty to meet this little woman, I have to say she is so adorable, very placid & was timid in the beginning.

First thing I noticed about her was she stank from high heaven and her coat was very matted, her ears dirty, but she is a healthy weight. Her back is boughed and her tummy almost touches the ground from all her puppies I didn't examine her any more and just let her relax beside me, she was unsure about coming inside to me, but after a little coaxing and some chicken she soon got the hand of it

I asked my cousin what the conditions were like at the 'farm', he told me that there was approx 20-25 puppies in a pen area, which was in a yard, full of gravel and dirt, there were not only Cavaliers but what appeared to be small white fluffy dogs , possible Bichon or similar. When the breeder went in to get the nuggets for Bonnie, he could hear loads of barking, he reckons about 30 more adult dogs-I am glad I didn't go there, I would probably be in Mountjoy Prison if I had! It just makes me so sad that these dogs are kept like this, but we got Bonnie out, that's the important thing.

I drove home to Dublin with Bonnie sitting safely on the passenger sear (harnessed in), she was as good as gold, I had come prepared, chicken stuffed kong kept her quiet on her journey & a couple of head rubs settled her. When I got her home, I had to give her a bath, as she was very very dirty & smelly, again chicken kept her focused and relaxed...it was during this bath that I found a lump the size of a tennis ball in one of her mammary glands her ears were so matted and dirty, they look like they have never been taken care of, I didn't work on these as I didn't want to stress her anymore, then I lifted her lips to look at her teeth, and almost all at the back are gone, along with her gum what kind of people allow a beautiful soul live like this???

Anyway, after her bath I noticed that she was bleeding a little, so it looks like she is in season, her vulva is very swollen and looks like she was never allowed to return to normal before another litter arrived, this has also made her slightly incontinent I would also think she has a murmur as her tongue goes blueish at times of walking and she makes a funny breathing sound every now and then, like a laboured, watery sound...not good & she has a cough...but this is the dog that was 'never sick' and has in her life 'never seen a vet'

We are taking her to the vet tomorrow for a thorough check over, so hopefully we will know the full extent of her health then, I honestly don't think she will live very long more, probably a year at best, but I will give her all the love and care she needs until then.

Here are the photos of the beautiful Bonnie....her & Rosie's stories should be highlighted for people not on this forum to make them aware of what their precious 'pedigree' dog comes from, if allowed I will set up a web page about them...make people aware, as I honestly believe it is lack of education and knowledge that makes people buy these farm puppies.

Sorry this is such a long post, but wanted you all to know the state that this little soul arrived to me in...it really upsets me that someone profited from this little girl and then she couldn't be bothered to take care of her in her old age & ill health

She has settled in really well, with only two accidents yesterday, Des & Penny seem to like her, I found all 3 curled up in Des' bed last night, which was very cute. Penny could be her granddaughter as they are the image of each other.

Lucille
    Lucille,

Des, Penny, Bonnie, Zoe & Georgia

Post Thanks / Like

Aww..another soul that has been saved, she is beautiful, but what a sad, sad story.. It reminds me when I picked Murphy, he was in the same state,but a dog and not a bitch..
    You say she might have a year left at the best, but atleast she is in safe hands and will be loved until the time comes which I hope is longer than a year away! *fingers crossed*
    I hope she has very many happy times, and lives a lovely life
    ..Life wouldn't be complete without a beautiful cavalier at your feet..
    xxxx Mummy to Murphy, aged 8. MVD wont stop my precious boy! xxxx
    28/09/09 Gotcha Day <3

Post Thanks / Like

How horrible that someone could treat these lovely creatures like that. At least she'll know comfort and love now, whatever time she has left. Good luck at the vet tomorrow.
    Willow, Bertie & Finn [Blenheim & Tri Cavs],Eden [German Shepherd], Casper [BF Amazon], 2 ex-Bat Hens, 4 Cockatiels & a Barraband in a pear tree

Post Thanks / Like

You are so good to rescue Bonnie. It sounds like she has found a wonderful home to live out her (hopefully many) years. It always brings a tear to my eye when I read about the conditions all puppy farm dogs have to endure. I just don't understand the mentality of the breeders and the lack of understanding the public have. I guess it's all down to keeping the bad conditions at these farms in the public eye.
    Keep us posted on Bonnie's progress
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you have the address, I'd ring and report to the ISPCA but they are probably aware of the place. Still it is useful for them to have addresses for when the puppy farm legislation comes into effect. At the moment it is fine to keep multiple dogs and they would not be doing anything out of the ordinary for the law...

She may simply need heart meds but if her tongue is going blue getting her to the vet is a priority -- that would indicate lack of oxygen. She could live many years on the right meds. The cough would indicate she probably has congestive heart failure but that is often manageable for years.

Let me know what the vet says back -- her pics are lovely. Meant to get back to you over the weekend.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Karlin

Yes I am going to report this farm to the ISPCA, I was waiting until I got her checked over by the vet so that I would have everything in writing for them.....I really hope that she will be ok, she is such a sweetheart, poor devil, she definitely didn't deserve the life she has had to now

She is going to see Paul Kelly tomorrow morning, so I will know more then, I will update as soon as we are back, I will also try to get a picture of her lump and also her gums...i was just so shocked to see her in this bad condition, I expected some problems but my God she is a state

Fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow

Lucille
    Lucille,

Des, Penny, Bonnie, Zoe & Georgia

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

She looks lovely in the pictures. The poor little thing, how lucky she is to have found you. I am sure she will come on in leaps and bounds with a bit of love and affection.

Best of luck with the vet, let us know how it goes
    Siobhan
    Belle (Tri-F) Rosie (Ruby-F) Bismarck (Blenheim-M)
    Prince (At the Bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Good Luck Lucille you are a very kind lady with a heart of gold

kindest wishes
    brian
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Thank you so much for saving this lovely girl. The people who exploit these poor babies make me sooooooooooooo angry and disgusted that I couldn't possibly use the words to describe them on this forum. I hope the news tomorrow is not as bad as you're expecting. Bless you both x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can only add my thanks too. People like you deserve the very best in life...

Love Nanette xxxxx
    HollyDolly