• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chicken bones in my garden.

*Pauline*

How on earth did a chicken leg bone get into my garden :confused:

I saw Dylan walking back to the house in a low sort of squatting fashion, all four legs bent, body low to the ground, he's never done this before. He looked in real pain. He left something odd looking on the lawn. He came in and threw up a little. I went out to see what was on the lawn and it was a chicken leg bone. Unless there were more bones, I'd say he threw up what he had and left the rest in the garden. We haven't had chicken legs for a couple of weeks and I'm very careful about chicken bones.

This isn't the first time I found chicken bones in my garden. Where on earth are they coming from? Could it be cats or magpies dropping them? It's bin day today so maybe they dropped something.

Dylan is now hiding under my chair.

Do any of your neighbors have a gardening service? I've seen gardeners around my neighborhood eating lunch on client's lawns and I'm sure they leave some of their lunches lying around. They might have just thrown a chicken leg on the ground figuring some animal will eat it. Hope Dylan's o.k.

is it probably the large birds (magpies, crows) dropping them.:mad:
my meighbour feeds the seagulls and crows in her garden, and they always drop slices/chunks of bread in ours.

Probably cats or foxes Pauline.....there's so much in the press at the moment regarding foxes being so urban keep a close eye:eek:

Foxes in my front garden most nights. I'll check my garden more regularly in that case. Thanks Mel.

I never even thought about other critters dropping chicken bones. I always figured I had crazy neighbours who just toss their bones wherever. I was so baffled by this behaviour. Birds or something dropping them makes a lot more sense.

Last summer, we found the feet and several feathers of what was clearly a live (at one point) chicken. We figured a hawk (a chicken hawk of course) probably carried it to a tree at the back of our yard and dropped what he didn't want. Luckily, it was right outside our fence so Daisy didn't have an extra special treat!

Hopefully it won't be a recurring event whatever it was so that Dylan doesn't hurt himself on one.

I used to have that problem on my old street ...and often!! but at least the chicken bones were always on the curb grass, not in my lawn. I think it was a combination of animals getting to the bones in the garbage left overnight on the curb and also inconsiderate school kids who would walk along the sidewalk eating chicken from a neighborhood takeout place. Whatever reason, it is really REALLY annoying, isn't it?? I hope Dylan didn't have anymore than what he already threw up. :flwr:

Keep an eye on him going back some years we had a cocker spaniel who got hold of chickens bones and was very ill for a long time
--Aileen

Thanks everyone. Dylan seems fine, Poppy has an upset tummy but I don't think she had any bones. Typical Cavalier sensitive tummy I'm afraid.

There are lots of magpies around my area and my neighbours always leave bread out but we have also found, pieces of meat/bones, chicken bones, rolls, bread, berries etc.

I have to scan my garden before I let the dogs out as Pippin will get colitis at just the sniff of chicken and as you say Pauline cavs have sensitive tummies.

Hope poppy is feeling better, pippin had an upset tummy this week (after getting something in the garden, just when a bird dropped it) but is is on the mend now after a course of antibiotics.

It's really annoying, my husband says we'll need a net covering the garden!

Glad Dylan is ok:)

It used to cost me a fortune in Pro-kolin and antibiotics, now I see the signs sooner and switch to boiled rice only for a couple of days and wean them back onto their usual food mixed with rice.

Oh that is a worry. I used to get so upset when Dylan had a bad tummy, it took weeks sometimes to fix it. I got some good pills that helped quickly. Ask you vet about...Metronidazole 200mg.

Back