Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucy's Patella Surgery Tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Lucy is home!

Poor little mite is feeling very sorry for her, her leg is totaly bald & shes a little spaced out from the morphene so she's very quiet - which is good really!

I have a nice comfy duvet in her crate so shes a comfortable as I can make her, im going to sleep downstairs tonight next to her crate so she knows im there is shes not feeling great.

I actually watched a patella surgery on you tube this afternoon so I totaly understood what Fintan was telling me about Lucy's surgery this evening, although her's was a little differant to the one I watched as with Lucy they put the piece of bone they removed back after making the groove in the knee larger.

She has to go back to he vets on friday for a check up.

Just so glad to have her home.
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Glad that Lucy is now back home and hoping for a speedy recovery.
    Pam

and my two special boys Jasper age 14 and Ollie age 4.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a nice comfy duvet in her crate so shes a comfortable as I can make her, im going to sleep downstairs tonight next to her crate so she knows im there is shes not feeling great.

I did that with Riley after her SM decompression surgery. And I wanted to know if she was just scared or in pain. It's kind of like Brian said in another post, cavaliers get into your heart and soul and we will do anything for them. I'm glad Lucy is home. I hope her recovery goes smoothly.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So pleased to hear that the op went well - Fintan is an excellent vet as Karlin will no doubt have told you!!

I hope you and Lucy had a good night - she will be very sore, this is a major surgery and needs very careful management.

We used a towel looped under Peaches belly to help her to go out - obviously on the lead and no jumping about at all.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Last night was fine, Lucy slept right through & didnt seem to be in any pain thankfully.

Sparky did get sick though - not sure what thats about, maybe he's worrying about Lucy?!

This morning Lucy seems to have forgotten she has had major surgery! I took her for a wee in the garden, I had to let her off the lead as she won't wee while on the lead, but i made sure Cass & Sparky were in the kitchen as im sure Lucy would have wanted to play with them. She had her breakfast & then another tiny wander in the garden as she's very clean in her crate. Shes now sulking in the crate after almost an hour of wining to get out as Sparky is on my lap! She has some nice chew toys, a stuffed Kong & raw hide chew - none of which she has touched as she's sulking! Im hoping the sulk will turn into a nap!
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are doing a great job , I am so pleased she is doing well.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad she is out and back and doing well! Poor thing -- but hopefully she will be so much better and happier once her knees have healed and she can run and play normally. An xpen is a great option as they can move about a bit more but not too much -- and dogs tend not to feel so confined as in a crate.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Karlin,

It's just one knee she got done. Where can I get an xpen?

Im very surprised (but glad) that shes not in more pain than she seems to be in. She's on metacam tablets (never seen those before!) but even before she had that 1/2 a tablet this morning she didnt appear to be in much pain.

She's having a nap now - but she's not impressed that she cant come up on the spfa poor thing, I feel so guilty but I know in a month or so she will be a whole new dog - & hopefully not a bald one!
    Sonia

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

DTI have them -- I find it has been one of my most useful purchases for the dogs. You can use two joined panels as a quick barrier for a doorway. You can attach three or more to a crate to make a pen that comes off the crate. You can block off a large entryway with a few panels braced on one side. I keep a couple of panels tucked in besides my dishwasher and pull them out to block the kitchen off or the stairs if I need to separate the dogs or keep them one place while I wash the floor, etc. And of course it makes a full pen too. I know Thelly is a big fan of them too!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I also used two x-pens hooked to Riley's crate when she was recovering from her SM decompression surgery for the exact reason Karlin said - it gives them more room to move around without getting into trouble (running, jumping, etc). Glad to hear she had a good night.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)