Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Cavaliers and their Serious Problem with Periodontal Diseases.

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sale, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    Well, most all of the US cardiologists met from June 9 to 12 in California at the annual ACVIM Forum, and none of them presented anything about gum bacteria affecting MVD in the breed, or even in dogs in general. I am not aware of any meetings of US cardiologists this week or the near future.
    I had a look at the ACVIM 2010 website and that was a rather large meeting.
    http://www.acvimforum.org/
    .

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Cavaliers and Their Serious Problems with Periodontal Disease

    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    Well, most all of the US cardiologists met from June 9 to 12 in California at the annual ACVIM Forum, and none of them presented anything about gum bacteria affecting MVD in the breed, or even in dogs in general. I am not aware of any meetings of US cardiologists this week or the near future.

    Cavaliers and Their Serious Problems with Periodontal Disease


    Rod,

    I just don't want to make snide Comments, but there are Cardiologists and MVD Research for our Cavalier Breed going on in other parts of the World ,not just in America.

    If I hear any more about what I was mentioning ,I will let the List know.

    Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bet View Post
    Rod, I just don't want to make snide Comments, but there are Cardiologists and MVD Research for our Cavalier Breed going on in other parts of the World ,not just in America. ...
    Bet, you wrote to me that: "there is a meeting taking place this week where this subject is being discussed, maybe you are going to this meeting with the Cardiologists I don't know." And since, as you know, America is where I live, I thought you might be referring to a meeting of cardiologists which had just taken place in America, or is about to take place here.
    Rod Russell

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Cavaliers and Their Serious Problems with Periodontal Disease

    Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    It has been known for ages there is a link between periodontol disease and heart disease in humans. I have always been surprised there are not more campaigns from the government or dentists regarding this.

    http://www.perio.org/consumer/mbc.heart.htm

    CAVALIERS And Their SERIOUS PROBLEMS With PERIODONTAL DISEASE

    Tania,

    I never had Printed off the Link you gave, just done it, it makes interesting Reading.

    It says that Researchers have found that People with Periodantal Disease are almost Twice as likely to suffer from Coronary Artery Disease as those without Periodontal Disease.

    Also it was mentioned that Periodontal Disease can Exacerbate Existing Heart Conditions.

    Now to our Cavaliers ,in a Paper it was stated that Periodontal Disease is the most Common Disease found in Dogs and affects more than 80% of THREE YEARS OR OLDER.....also TOY and MINATURE BREEDS are MORE Severly Affected

    That Systemic Disease may develope because the GUMS are very Vascular,Have a Good Blood Supply ,.....

    The Blood Stream carries these Anaerobic Microorganisms.,and they are Filtered out by the Kidneys and Liver ,where they may Colonize and create Microabscesses.

    The Microoganisms travelling through the Blood may also Attach to the Heart Valves ,causing Vegatative Endocarditis ,Infected Heart Valves .

    Finally in another Paper ,it was mentioned that there is Risk Factor between Periodontal Disease and Heart Disease, that Humans with Severe Periodontal Disease are between 24%-35% more likely also to have Coronary Artery Disease.

    Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Cavaliers and Their Serious Problem with Periodontal Disease.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bet View Post
    CAVALIERS And Their SERIOUS PROBLEMS With PERIODONTAL DISEASE

    Tania,

    I never had Printed off the Link you gave, just done it, it makes interesting Reading.

    It says that Researchers have found that People with Periodantal Disease are almost Twice as likely to suffer from Coronary Artery Disease as those without Periodontal Disease.

    Also it was mentioned that Periodontal Disease can Exacerbate Existing Heart Conditions.

    Now to our Cavaliers ,in a Paper it was stated that Periodontal Disease is the most Common Disease found in Dogs and affects more than 80% of THREE YEARS OR OLDER.....also TOY and MINATURE BREEDS are MORE Severly Affected

    That Systemic Disease may develope because the GUMS are very Vascular,Have a Good Blood Supply ,.....

    The Blood Stream carries these Anaerobic Microorganisms.,and they are Filtered out by the Kidneys and Liver ,where they may Colonize and create Microabscesses.

    The Microoganisms travelling through the Blood may also Attach to the Heart Valves ,causing Vegatative Endocarditis ,Infected Heart Valves .

    Finally in another Paper ,it was mentioned that there is Risk Factor between Periodontal Disease and Heart Disease, that Humans with Severe Periodontal Disease are between 24%-35% more likely also to have Coronary Artery Disease.

    Bet
    It now seems to be agreed that Dogs with Periodontal Disease, including our Cavaliers,can have a Detrimental affect on their Hearts.

    Is this all the more reason why a number of Cavalier Breeders should be now paying more attention to the UK CKCS Club's Breeding Guide-lines,so that Cavaliers with a Heart Condition are not being used in Breeding Programs.

    If 50% of Cavaliers are still having a Heart Murmur ,and this is no better than it was 18 years ago,then will those Cavaliers with Bad Teeth be fighting a losing Battle against the MVD which afflicts our Cavalier Breed.

    Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •