• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavaliers and their Serious Problem with Periodontal Diseases.

Well, most all of the US cardiologists met from June 9 to 12 in California at the annual ACVIM Forum, and none of them presented anything about gum bacteria affecting MVD in the breed, or even in dogs in general. I am not aware of any meetings of US cardiologists this week or the near future.
I had a look at the ACVIM 2010 website and that was a rather large meeting.
http://www.acvimforum.org/

Cavaliers and Their Serious Problems with Periodontal Disease

Well, most all of the US cardiologists met from June 9 to 12 in California at the annual ACVIM Forum, and none of them presented anything about gum bacteria affecting MVD in the breed, or even in dogs in general. I am not aware of any meetings of US cardiologists this week or the near future.

Rod,

I just don't want to make snide Comments, but there are Cardiologists and MVD Research for our Cavalier Breed going on in other parts of the World ,not just in America.

If I hear any more about what I was mentioning ,I will let the List know.

Bet

Rod, I just don't want to make snide Comments, but there are Cardiologists and MVD Research for our Cavalier Breed going on in other parts of the World ,not just in America. ...

Bet, you wrote to me that: "there is a meeting taking place this week where this subject is being discussed, maybe you are going to this meeting with the Cardiologists I don't know." And since, as you know, America is where I live, I thought you might be referring to a meeting of cardiologists which had just taken place in America, or is about to take place here.

It has been known for ages there is a link between periodontol disease and heart disease in humans. I have always been surprised there are not more campaigns from the government or dentists regarding this.

http://www.perio.org/consumer/mbc.heart.htm

CAVALIERS And Their SERIOUS PROBLEMS With PERIODONTAL DISEASE

Tania,

I never had Printed off the Link you gave, just done it, it makes interesting Reading.

It says that Researchers have found that People with Periodantal Disease are almost Twice as likely to suffer from Coronary Artery Disease as those without Periodontal Disease.

Also it was mentioned that Periodontal Disease can Exacerbate Existing Heart Conditions.

Now to our Cavaliers ,in a Paper it was stated that Periodontal Disease is the most Common Disease found in Dogs and affects more than 80% of THREE YEARS OR OLDER.....also TOY and MINATURE BREEDS are MORE Severly Affected

That Systemic Disease may develope because the GUMS are very Vascular,Have a Good Blood Supply ,.....

The Blood Stream carries these Anaerobic Microorganisms.,and they are Filtered out by the Kidneys and Liver ,where they may Colonize and create Microabscesses.

The Microoganisms travelling through the Blood may also Attach to the Heart Valves ,causing Vegatative Endocarditis ,Infected Heart Valves .

Finally in another Paper ,it was mentioned that there is Risk Factor between Periodontal Disease and Heart Disease, that Humans with Severe Periodontal Disease are between 24%-35% more likely also to have Coronary Artery Disease.

Bet

Cavaliers and Their Serious Problem with Periodontal Disease.

CAVALIERS And Their SERIOUS PROBLEMS With PERIODONTAL DISEASE

Tania,

I never had Printed off the Link you gave, just done it, it makes interesting Reading.

It says that Researchers have found that People with Periodantal Disease are almost Twice as likely to suffer from Coronary Artery Disease as those without Periodontal Disease.

Also it was mentioned that Periodontal Disease can Exacerbate Existing Heart Conditions.

Now to our Cavaliers ,in a Paper it was stated that Periodontal Disease is the most Common Disease found in Dogs and affects more than 80% of THREE YEARS OR OLDER.....also TOY and MINATURE BREEDS are MORE Severly Affected

That Systemic Disease may develope because the GUMS are very Vascular,Have a Good Blood Supply ,.....

The Blood Stream carries these Anaerobic Microorganisms.,and they are Filtered out by the Kidneys and Liver ,where they may Colonize and create Microabscesses.

The Microoganisms travelling through the Blood may also Attach to the Heart Valves ,causing Vegatative Endocarditis ,Infected Heart Valves .

Finally in another Paper ,it was mentioned that there is Risk Factor between Periodontal Disease and Heart Disease, that Humans with Severe Periodontal Disease are between 24%-35% more likely also to have Coronary Artery Disease.

Bet

It now seems to be agreed that Dogs with Periodontal Disease, including our Cavaliers,can have a Detrimental affect on their Hearts.

Is this all the more reason why a number of Cavalier Breeders should be now paying more attention to the UK CKCS Club's Breeding Guide-lines,so that Cavaliers with a Heart Condition are not being used in Breeding Programs.

If 50% of Cavaliers are still having a Heart Murmur ,and this is no better than it was 18 years ago,then will those Cavaliers with Bad Teeth be fighting a losing Battle against the MVD which afflicts our Cavalier Breed.

Bet

Back