• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Looking for a new collar

Personally I am not a lover of collars for cavaliers, I think they can put a lot of pressure on their necks and back, I prefer to use a harness, and LOVE the Puppia soft harnesses, they are not only adorable in their design and colours but also they are very sturdy and support the cavalier, it's like a little hug for them :)

Mine both have harnesses - Cassie is going to a show soon so I have to get a show lead for that but back to the harness straight after.

They seem much more comfortable :))

If you want a collar just to wear to hold ID tags, rolled leather is nice, but that looks like a choke collar of some sort? I would not use that kind of a collar on a cavalier.

Mine used to have a normal rolled leather collar. They did great with it, but now they just wear harnesses. Currently we're using step-in harnesses from www.upcountryinc.com. My dogs are pullers and even though I really like the Puppia harness they don't work for us as they tend to pull a lot more when they are wearing them.

All of my dogs have harnesses from Up-Country. I use to keep a collar on for ID tags, but Riley has severe SM and had decompression surgery so I don't want anything around her neck, Oliver had ruptured discs in his neck and had surgery, so I don't want anything around his neck and Oz has the Chiari malformation so I don't want anything pulling on his neck either. Maddie's fine and she still has a collar with her ID tags on. I use one I just got at PetsMart.

I have always used a harness for my 1 year old cavalier, collars worried me since she likes to pull and she is really small framed, i didn't want to put pressure on her neck. Funny thing is though, we recently tried walking her on a collar and she stopped her pulling and for the first time she is walking nicely. I was shocked! I have a Puppia harness which I've always used on her and the problem I've been finding with the mesh style is that the fine cotton like fur on her chest seems to get really matted very easily from the harness. My groomer said it's pretty common with harnesses. So my newest solution is that she wears a collar and if she is going outside for a potty break or a quick walk from the car to a store, etc she will walk with that. If its an actual walk or a longer day out, I've been using a No Pull harness (link below) that works wonderfully. I still get paranoid that she will see something exciting and will pull hard with her collar.

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

Back