• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

not eating...

raleej337

Hi, we've just picked up a new dog (a pug), he is 9 weeks old and very active. My problem is my 11 month old cavalier, for the past two days he doesn't want to eat nor drink. He always hides inside his crate or go to his bed inside our bedroom to get away from the new pup. Same thing happened to him when we had a long weekend with my relatives who have an adult toy poodle, my cav didn't eat too, but right after we got home he started eating. My concern is since the new puppy will be with us I'm afraid my cavalier will become ill. Is there anybody here experience the same thing? Please help.

Thank you in advance!

I wouldn't be too worried overall. I'd especially not make a fuss over this or try to encourage your cavalier to eat, as that can get the dog started on using the process of holding out on food to get lots of attention from you. Dogs often react to a new arrival by being slightly miffed in this way and not eating would be pretty common. I would just ignore it and feed as normal but be sure that the dogs are kept separate for eating–for example put them each in a crate for their meals. Or in separate rooms. Just give them 10 minutes to eat and anything that isn't finished gets lifted and put away until the next scheduled meal. Whatever you do, do not leave food down so that the dogs can free feed during the day. I am sure your cavalier will begin eating regularly before too long. Of course, make sure water is always available. It would be worrying though if your dog is not drinking at all–I would tend to think this is probably not the case though and may be he's having a drink now and then when no one is watching.

There's lots of advice for adding a new dog to a home and the ways to alleviate some of the problems that can arise and make the whole situation more comfortable for the existing dog in the caring for your cavalier section of the library. It may be useful to buy something like a puppy playpen so that your cavalier gets plenty of breaks and the (hyper)activity of the pug puppy can be isolated. Many dogs are just not thrilled to have a puppy jumping all over them, while others love having a puppy to play with. You will need to just give your cavalier time and see how things go. It would be rare for a new arrival to just not work out at all, but do keep in mind that this is possible. You will just want to carefully watch their interactions which should always be supervised of course–never leave the puppy alone with an adult dog unless you know over several weeks of close observation that they have become good friends and that the puppy is safe. (y)

thank you Karlin! well the pug is in his playpen most of the time and only out when fully supervised or during potty time. My cavalier has his own crate (his sanctuary). As usual the feeding time is the same, water is always available. Hopefully in the next few days he'll be fine.

That sounds like a really good setup! :) I don't think you need to be too worried. Dogs can go a good few days without eating and be relatively unaffected unless there's some underlying health problem to be concerned about. Foster dogs often won't eat for a day or two when they go to a new home, for example. Let us know how they get on and I am sure we would all love to see some pictures if you have some time!

Would LOVE to see pictures. I have a cavalier and a pug too....Please post. Nothing cuter that a cavalier or pug puppy......(in my opinion).:wink:

Back