• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Surgery Today

mhabca

Mika goes in this morning for the surgery on her cherry eye or tumor. Please keep her in your thoughts.

Surgery is done. Mika is recovering comfortably. It was not cherry eye, but some kind of a growth. They are sending it off to Saskatoon for analysis. She is awfully young for cancer, but I guess you never know. I can bring her home in a couple of hours and hopefully the vet can tell me a bit more then.

The growth was right on the white part of her eye ball. Poor little thing. She's still completely dozy. They've given me 4 days worth of pain killers and 7 days of antibiotics to combat any infection. I feel so bad for her. I'm glad she can just sleep it off though. We'll know more after the biopsy towards the end of next week.

Hope the growth is nothing to worry about and the biopsy results come back favourably. Sending big hugs to Mika :hug:

I'm sorry to hear that this was a growth - very unusual in a young dog.

Paws crossed that everything is ok - please keep us posted.

Hope everything is okay and the results will come back harmless :flwr:
Sending Mika hugs and I hope she is recovering well after her op, bless her :)

Results Finally

We finally got the results back from Mika's biopsy on her eye lump. The good news is that it is not cancer. And, the bad news is not that bad. She has "nodular episcleritis", which is basically an autoimmune disease. Her body for some reason is fighting against itself and produced this lump.

A couple of steroid drops in the eye four times a day for the first week and then three times a day after that SHOULD take care of it. She'll likely have to be on these drops the rest of her life (time to wean her off those treats we've been giving her after her drops - I think we'll change to a couple of frozen peas).

The vet said it may affect her other eye at some point, but not necessarily and there will be no other ill effects whatsoever.

Right now, her eye looks great and hopefully the drops will keep it that way. There are side effects of steroids, but since she is only getting drops in her eye and not ingesting it, the vet is not worried about that, but did tell me what to watch out for (big belly, dry fur, lots of drinking). If that happens, we take blood to monitor her hormones and try a different drug, but he really doesn't think we have to worry about that.

So in the end, she'll likely have to be on eye drops the rest of her life, but other than that, everything will be normal. I can certainly live with that!

Back