• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppy research, all over again.

sunshinekisses

Well, of course I need a new puppy.
wink.gif

I feel so weird doing research all over again for a breeder. I loved my little cavalier but after the purchase I felt like the breeder never had time to talk to me...and even seemed like she avoided me at the dog shows, although I excused that because I thought she might be nervous for showing in the ring. Anyway I have been researching again and calling (I hate this because I feel like I am invading) and emailing breeders.

A few websites say dogs are health tested or health cleared yearly but I can't find dogs on OFFA. I am searching breeders through the parent club, and hoping this will lead me to a good breeder. And this September I will be going to a specialty show to hopefully meet people in person.

Anyway, one breeder I called I really, really liked her on the phone but she told me an outrageous price on puppies. Did she do this because she didn't like me and didn't want me to purchase a puppy? Her bitch wasn't even champion so I thought it weird she quoted me such a high price for a show potential.

I have been burned so many times because I am a trusting person but I would like this time around to find an honest and simple person that I can share my dogs accomplishments with, as well as the heart-breaks. How do I sort through the bull-@#% and find the breeder that is really being honest with me.

Also, is it also okay for me to be on a few breeders waiting list or is that rude?

I don't think it would be rude it be a few breeders waiting lists (a few being 2-3, not 20). I would consider it fair to inform them of this fact, and let them know as soon as you have pup located so they that aren't under the impression you are still waiting.

Are you looking for a show potential? If so, then you really are dealing with a mine field because 1) responsible truly health focused cavalier breeders generally won't ever sell show potential puppies unless the person is known to them or recommended by somebody else that they know who shows, so that they are absolutely sure any puppy goes to a responsible home, not into a breeding situation. A show puppy has to be sold without any spay or neuter restrictions & most breeders simply will not allow a dog to go to someone they don't know under these sorts of circumstances. they generally will also want to have seen some evidence of commitment to the breed into getting involved with showing :) (see below!) And 2) the ones who will are the total shysters–one of the biggest lies in the book as far as buying a dog goes is “show potential puppy” and one of the absolute red flags about any breeder is if they are happy to sell show what they call show quality dogs and/or start quoting you higher prices for show puppies.

If you want to get into showing Cavaliers, the best approach is to get involved with your regional cavalier club–attend meetings, at 10 shows, and get to know breeders, do some classes on show ring skills and look for somebody who will mentor you and perhaps Cologne your first show dog. Anyone who is just as willing to just sell what they call a show potential puppy to you is very unlikely to be selling anything remotely close to show potential puppies. And yes–true show potential pups are very expensive, as our puppies generally from breeders who are actually doing health testing, which can be costly especially if they MRI.

Whether or not a breeder lists their dogs on OFA is probably irrelevant–it is a useful point of reference but many health testing breeders don't list there for many different reasons. Some very health focused people have issues with OFA and want something more stringently health focused.

Good luck with the search–it always takes time to find a really great, health focused breeder, but it is worth it. :)

Whether or not a breeder lists their dogs on OFA is probably irrelevant–it is a useful point of reference but many health testing breeders don't list there for many different reasons. Some very health focused people have issues with OFA and want something more stringently health focused.

Can you explain this a bit more, I am in US so as far as I am aware this is the organization where US breeders should send their health clearances to for all breeder to reference. But I have noticed a few breeders don't send in their health testing, I always wonder why this is.

Back