Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jasper has a little friend

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jasper has a little friend

We welcomed into our home a little friend for Jasper, he is a 8 week old blenheim and his name is Ollie. It was a difficult decision if we should bring another dog into our home as Jasper is now 10 yrs old and after much thought we felt that the time was right. Ollie is a delight a really sweet little puppy, very lively and full of mischief, he is eating really well and settled in very well, he seems to sense that Jasper is not sure as he will go to him and either stand a little distance away or lay in front of him. Jasper most of the time walks off and jumps on his chair, but occasionally they have both laid on the floor together - but at a little distance, I have been keeping a close eye on both. We bought a crate for Ollie which will help a great deal. If anyone has any advice I would be most grateful, we have never had two dogs together before. I have taken some photos and will post them with my son`s help when he is about.
    Pam

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Pam, can't wait to see the pics. They'll be friends soon, don't worry.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, can't wait to see pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh how exciting....post pics soon
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see some pictures of Ollie and Jasper together.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congratulations!!

Hopefully in time as Ollie grows up they will become good friends. It's quite hard for a 10 year old to adjust to a bouncy baby puppy - but it sounds like Ollie is respecting Jasper so that is good.

I think the main thing is to give Jasper plenty of time away from Ollie - a crate or exercise pen is a good idea.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone, and yes Nicki we have tried to carry on with the same routine as before and still let him know we love him very much, we felt that a puppy would not be such a threat as an older dog, the quick movements make Jasper jump a bit. I must admit I had forget how lively and bouncy they can be and all the strange hiding places Ollie seems to go and being very small we can`t find him. Although we also had Jasper at 8 weeks, Ollie looks so small.
    Pam

Post Thanks / Like

When I got my Megan (now aged 11) she was only 5 months old and my old B/T was 8 years and had always been an only dog.

It took much longer than I was expecting for Louie to actually acknowledge Megan's existence (about 6 months if I'm honest) but thereafter they became bosom pals. So be prepared to give it quite a bit of time.

Good luck and do let us know how they are getting on
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Default ...little friend...

We too will be in a similar position as on Saturday we will be bringing home Bessie who is 8 weeks, to Monty who is 3 and lost his lifetime companion some 6 weeks ago. He has been devastated being alone and still howls at times during the night. We do hope Bessie will give him the companionship he craves. He is a large Cavalier of Golden hue with a white blaze down his front. He doesnt look like a Cavalier until you really study hom. He is far too big.
    Bessie is a tri colour and will be a more normal size. probably more like the Blenheim we had previously. It is going to be interesting but I am glad I am not the only one who has to ask younger members of the family to help with photos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wagtails View Post
    When I got my Megan (now aged 11) she was only 5 months old and my old B/T was 8 years and had always been an only dog.

It took much longer than I was expecting for Louie to actually acknowledge Megan's existence (about 6 months if I'm honest) but thereafter they became bosom pals. So be prepared to give it quite a bit of time.

Good luck and do let us know how they are getting on

It was a very difficult decision for us to get another dog, in some ways it felt a bit selfish to put Jasper through this after being the only dog for so long, they seem to get on better outside rather than in, but Jasper is still very scared of Ollie. My son has put some photos of Ollie and Jasper on my album, he could`nt work out how to put them into a thread. He has settled in very well, eating really well and trying to take Jasper`s food as well, he is very lively. We took him to the vets for a check up and inoculation last night and all is well.
    Pam